BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Jun 2014
Vehicle: 2008 clk 350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
US-based ECU Tuner?

Hello All:
I just registered. First post. Looked around the forum, but couldn't find any thing specific. I'm looking for a reputable shop to either remap my ECU or put a chip in it. I see a ton of folks in the UK but I don't see that many in the States. Is there a particular reason? Something with the US cars? Looking for advice and recommendations.

Thanks, Stephan
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 05:15 AM
Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 90 300E, 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
The UK ownership has a much higher percentage of diesel owners. Also smaller displacement gas engines that use a super charger. All of Europe and a big chunk of the world is really that way. With gas and diesel at $6-8 a gallon the big displacement engines we get in the US are not as common as they are in a lot of the world.

So to get better performance out of diesels and smaller displacement gas engines that use forced induction they get much better gains with a tune on the ECU than your CLK could. Any tuner that said they could get more than about 15-20hp out of your M272 V6 engine would be liars. They will charge you a few hundred that will have very little effect on a 2 ton car.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 05:42 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Nov 2008
Vehicle: Too many
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What is your car?

I can recommend JS Benz down in Miami. Great shop and they've been doing performance cars for many years.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 11:26 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Being also Ford Truck owner I can tell you Mercedes is totally different concept.
While the first thing new owner of used Ford Truck is doing is chipping for more power and better fuel economy, Mercedes does it at assembly line. If somebody can improve one side of MB, he will screw up the other. Not something reasonable guys like us will take without questions.
And the truth is..... there are no satisfactory answers.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-04-2014, 02:21 AM
Outstanding Contributor
Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: 216 with everything. 2002 SL500 with everything. 2009 SL500 with everything.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
The other snag is that if you did this to gain the extra 15/20 BHP, you would be forced to use 98 ron fuel.

Talking of those with diesels in the UK yes dead easy to chip the 200 diesels to the 220, there is no difference at all other than this. The reason why Mercedes off the 200 is for countries like Thailand where you are taxed heavily on anything over the 200, thats also why you see so many Brabus 200 Mercedes over there.

Also when people have chipped their car for economy, they often never get that as the car goes faster, it gets driven faster and this cancels out any savings.

"I thought my vasectomy would keep my wife from getting pregnant but apparently it just changes the color of the baby."
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: