Date registered: May 2014
Vehicle: 2005 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Steering Column Module

Hi,

I drive a MY 2005 C230K Sport Sedan.

What does the Steering Column Module (SCM) or the Steering Angle Sensor do?

Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 01:56 PM

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 90 300E, 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 922 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
It tells the rest of the ESP system what angle the steering wheel/and wheels of the car are at so the ESP system can make accurate corrections if it is needed.
The most common reason for it to show up as bad is a bad alignment. They can fail, but is not a common failure.
Is there an ESP light on your dash showing?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
It tells the rest of the ESP system what angle the steering wheel/and wheels of the car are at so the ESP system can make accurate corrections if it is needed.
The most common reason for it to show up as bad is a bad alignment. They can fail, but is not a common failure.
Is there an ESP light on your dash showing?
A few days while I was driving back from work, this fault message came up on the screen; ''ESP Malfunction, visit Workshop''. Sometimes it changes to ''ESP Unavailable, see Operator's Manual''.

However, I was able to take the car to my mechanic yesterday; he used STAR and diagnosed the fault as Steering Column Module (SCM) failure. He says it needs to be replaced.

So I was just wondering what the Steering Column Module does, because the car seems to ride alright, just that Iíve noticed that the Steering Wheel tilts slightly towards the right whenever I take my hands off the wheel.

Is this due to the faulty Steering Column Module because the guys at the alignment place says the carís alignment is fine?

Thanks.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 06:26 PM

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 90 300E, 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 922 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Before you spend big money on replacing it or the steering column the car should a very good alignment, but before that have the upper control arms and outer tie rod ends checked. If they are worn then replace them before the alignment.
You indicate that the wheel goes to the right. It could just be an alignment or the parts I listed being worn out. I know your guys said the alignment is fine, but I am betting it is not due to the wheel not being centered when they checked it or worn parts in which case a good alignment tech would know the car can not be aligned with worn parts.

In the last 2 months 2 of my MBs with steering angle sensors had the ESP light come on. I put it on the star system and also got a bad steering angle sensor code. In both cars while I was gone with my race mechanic my wife had the regular mechanic do alignments on the MBs and he did have the steering dead straight before doing the alignment. The lights came on immediately after she picked them up.
I got back, had both of them aligned again with the steering wheel centered and the steering angle sensor was happy and the ESP lights went away.
They are a durable part and failure of them is not common, so look to worn suspension/alignment issues first before throwing a lot of money at replacing the steering angle sensor.

Either way it is a straight forward fix. However I would get the steering wheel going to right fixed first. That has to done regardless of the steering angle sensor being good or bad.At that point all codes for the steering angle sensor need to be cleared and the car needs to driven 25-30km. If then once the steering wheel going to right issue is fixed and the error is still there the steering angle sensor may need replacing, but I do not think it will come to that. Something is wrong with the suspension/alignment.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
Before you spend big money on replacing it or the steering column the car should a very good alignment, but before that have the upper control arms and outer tie rod ends checked. If they are worn then replace them before the alignment.
You indicate that the wheel goes to the right. It could just be an alignment or the parts I listed being worn out. I know your guys said the alignment is fine, but I am betting it is not due to the wheel not being centered when they checked it or worn parts in which case a good alignment tech would know the car can not be aligned with worn parts.

In the last 2 months 2 of my MBs with steering angle sensors had the ESP light come on. I put it on the star system and also got a bad steering angle sensor code. In both cars while I was gone with my race mechanic my wife had the regular mechanic do alignments on the MBs and he did have the steering dead straight before doing the alignment. The lights came on immediately after she picked them up.
I got back, had both of them aligned again with the steering wheel centered and the steering angle sensor was happy and the ESP lights went away.
They are a durable part and failure of them is not common, so look to worn suspension/alignment issues first before throwing a lot of money at replacing the steering angle sensor.

Either way it is a straight forward fix. However I would get the steering wheel going to right fixed first. That has to done regardless of the steering angle sensor being good or bad.At that point all codes for the steering angle sensor need to be cleared and the car needs to driven 25-30km. If then once the steering wheel going to right issue is fixed and the error is still there the steering angle sensor may need replacing, but I do not think it will come to that. Something is wrong with the suspension/alignment.
Thanks a lot for the detailed advice. I'll have the car's suspension checked then go for an alignment afterwards, then let's see how it goes.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in