LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2011
Vehicle: 2014 E-350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Post Lost 2014 E-350 Key in the House. Any way to trace it?

Right before going on vacation, I hid my 2nd set of keys somewhere in the house for safe keeping. Unfortunately I did this at 3 in the morning, and my brain didn't register where I put the keys. This set of keys are very important as they have on them a special key that is critical in my line of work. I simply MUST find the keys no matter what or I am royally screwed. Now here's what I'm thinking... the car can sense when my key is inside the vehicle or not. So that means there must be some kind of NFC or RFID inside the key. I drive a 2014 E-350. Has keyless entry/go. Is there any way I can somehow create a device or buy a device that can detect the key? Essentially, I want to be able to walk around the different rooms in the house until I get a hit that the key is close by. Sorry if this whole idea seems like science fiction, but there has to be a way. Please help out guys. I'm really desperate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 12:22 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2003
Vehicle: 2012 Focus SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Contact your nearest E-3 base, they'll find it.

MBStormTrooper likes this.

Felicita e un bicchiere di vino con un panino.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
While your post definitely made me LOL, I was really hoping you had a solution when I got the notification email. I have been searching for the past 3 days. Literally have not done any work. Barely sleeping. It's driving me crazy.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 12:28 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2003
Vehicle: 2012 Focus SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBStormTrooper View Post
While your post definitely made me LOL, I was really hoping you had a solution when I got the notification email. I have been searching for the past 3 days. Literally have not done any work. Barely sleeping. It's driving me crazy.
Lack of sleep won't help you remember anything. Perhaps some Lunesta may be in order.

Seriously, though, I don't know of any such device. I'm also not altogether sure such a device would be entirely legal as it might presumably work the other way (as in emulate a key) and possibly help you open and start cars not belonging to you.

Felicita e un bicchiere di vino con un panino.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Well yes I suppose if you were to emulate it, it would be a problem. But I'm not trying to reproduce a signal. Just detect an existing one. How does my car know when the key is present? Something in the car is detecting it. Even when the key is my girlfriend's purse, and she's 3-4 feet away from my car, if I touch the door handle, the car unlocks. So there is definitely something in there that is sensing the presence of the key. I was hoping this information could be applied to some gizmo/gadget that could help at least alert me when I am within a few feet of the key.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 02:45 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jun 2011
Vehicle: 1999 E320 Sedan
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
So this is the method that my wife advised me to use when I had misplaced something (keys, wallet, glasses etc.). Take a handkerchief or some other piece of cloth and tie a knot in it. Then pick it up with your fingers at the corner where the knot is and hold it with your extended arm in front of you. Then, as if guided by this knot, you slowly walk around in your house to all the likely and unlikely places where you could have left the missing item, calmly and thoroughly focusing on remembering/finding it.

I have to say that I was at first very were reluctant to try this given that I am not superstitious at all. But then I tried, and it "worked," at least I found what I was looking for and it somehow felt easier than expected. I suppose this method works on the principle that because it was you who misplaced something, you must have some buried memory of where and how this happened, which, if the right mental state is created, can come back to the surface, or at least closer to it.
MBStormTrooper likes this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon_E View Post
So this is the method that my wife advised me to use when I had misplaced something (keys, wallet, glasses etc.). Take a handkerchief or some other piece of cloth and tie a knot in it. Then pick it up with your fingers at the corner where the knot is and hold it with your extended arm in front of you. Then, as if guided by this knot, you slowly walk around in your house to all the likely and unlikely places where you could have left the missing item, calmly and thoroughly focusing on remembering/finding it.

I have to say that I was at first very were reluctant to try this given that I am not superstitious at all. But then I tried, and it "worked," at least I found what I was looking for and it somehow felt easier than expected. I suppose this method works on the principle that because it was you who misplaced something, you must have some buried memory of where and how this happened, which, if the right mental state is created, can come back to the surface, or at least closer to it.

You're a fucking sorcerer! Thank you so much! I don't have any handkerchiefs laying around, but what I did was use the other set of keys which weren't lost. I walked around the house just like you said. I went through a drawer that i've already looked in 100 times. Except this time I noticed the stack of shirts has a lump in it. Sure enough, I put the keys in-between shirts. I feel so stupid yet so relieved. You sir, are the man! Thank you!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 04:43 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jun 2011
Vehicle: 1999 E320 Sedan
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Very happy to read this! And as I said, I only passed on what my wife taught me...

Enjoy your holidays!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 01:53 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2014
Vehicle: 2010
Got me a few of these for this very reason

www.thetileapp.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in