Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

How fast have you ever driven?

18K views 150 replies 90 participants last post by  heyfred3000 
#1 ·
Time for a new fun thread... I am curious on how fast have you guys ever driven on a public freeway?? I have gone over 90 more than once and 98 is my max as of now, in my E430 Sport, but only when there is not traffic, I play safe. which happened in the early mornings, 6:45-7 AM.

#4 ·
Years ago...

140+ in a 1970 Chevelle SS 396
120+ ,needle buried, in a 1967 GTO Convertible - top down, could have gone faster if it was a coupe
130 in the Impala SS
117 in a Subaru wagon on the NJTP :eek:

All done at night on empty roads.

Now I am lucky to hit 65 around here

Reactions: moneycat
#5 ·
It was an accident....

Drove my 53 plate c240 when I first got it down the m1 late at night. Had a 1.4 Citroen zx previously. I tend to drive to revs (the engine note) for a feel for the speed.

Apparently my c240 did about 130 in 6th to my zx 75.

The ride was so smooth and the road was empty. Things seemed to be moving at a poke when I checked at the dial. Thought I'd read km/h then promptly slowed to the limit. I never believed that it was even possible to not realise the difference in speed until my arse fell out. Thankfully I didn't panic and slam on.

My 270 ml will do the ton but isn't pleased about it and I get about 5mpg. Too few gears and as aerodynamic as a shed.

#6 ·
135 mph about a quarter mile back from Porsche that blew by me at that speed. Very open stretch of Interstate. In the W215 CL65 Renntech R3 I had just bought a couple hours before. The CL65 felt no different at 135 than at 75.

Of course, later when I slowed back to 75 it felt like I could get out and run faster than the car was going having become conditioned to the 135 - and liking it.

#8 ·

From US models the highest governor settings I had was 132 mph in 2004 E320.
Back in Europe, driving VW Scirocco on autobahn I kicked the speedometer peg showing 250kph=156mph. Those were the times of no GPS, so could not verify it otherwise.
Than in 2001 French rental - Ford Focus 1.9 cdi wagon clocked 225 kph what show on GPS as 138 mph. Small difference between speedo and GPS.

#9 ·
BTW if you want to try 100 mph in California, make sure you have enough credit to post the bail and cash for taxi home.
Just few years ago driving I80 in Nebraska I could set CC at 100 mph and not disengage it for 100 miles. In last years even 75mph freeways do have frequent speed traps.
Nevada traditionally would let the visitors have good time - last year my Valentine One was working there quite a bit as well.

#10 ·
1992 Suzuki GSXR 1100 180mph indicated...and I was riding with a friend who was driving. Never got on it again!!!
1985 Dodge Charger Shelby 143mph
1985 Porsche 928 165mph
1996 Infinity Q45 156mph (hit limiter)
2002 E430 130mph...limiter...I've gotta have that removed.

#16 ·
I drive through Germany at quite high speeds in both the SL and CL doing 150 where possible, in this shot I thought that I would take a picture, but by the time I got the camera out of the case I was running out of road :(

#20 · (Edited)
It is unfortunate that with crime on high rise, streets shooting become daily news, lot of departments are sending cops to make easy money on running radar traps.
At least in CA we do have laws limiting the traps. In Oregon I have seen Toyota Prius in red parked on the shoulder and whenever a speeding car was coming the driver door would open and hand with handheld radar would pop.
Have you wonder why Fiat 500 are becoming so popular here lately?

#21 ·
On technical side, if you go to Las Vegas the I15 between Jane and LV is 3 lanes going downhill, so good stretch for kicking it down at the time when it is not flooded with Californians driving on left side.
Lately I have seen NV troopers there, but did not notice them pulling anybody over.
Still I would check if NV ticket will go on your CA record.

#28 ·
The fastest I've driven for an extended period was on I5 at night, I'd just passed a really bad accident on the other side that had multiple chippies on scene, so I knew I was good for a while (plus no aerial surveillance at night). An hour later I'd traveled almost 95 miles and figured it was time to slow down.

That was many years ago in a Grand Am and looking back it was incredible stupid, since I was overdriving my headlights by a wide margin.

In short bursts, I've driven over 140 (not in my benz), and 120 on my Ducati. Speed on a bike is crazy different; well, except that when you slow back down it does seem like you could step off and jog next to the bike and keep up easily. :D

Nowadays I drive pretty close to the speed limit, if not under by a little.

#31 ·
Driving back through Germany the last time we were not in too much of a hurry, so no 150mph this time, any way a Volkswagen overtook us, and just flew by. some 10 miles further along the road it all crawled to a stop start. When we got to the scene of the accident there was just the rear end of this Volkswagen showing from under the rear end of an artic trailer, the roof was a few meters back lying in the road.

It does make you think.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.