How fast have you ever driven? - Page 15 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #141 of 151 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 12:26 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Date registered: Jun 2012
Vehicle: 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster
Location: Texas City, Texas
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In my celebrated (by me!) Porsche 944, on I-77 from Columbia, SC to Charlotte, NC, I hit an honest 140 for about 5 miles...2 am or so, it was. In our Crossfire, seen 118 on I-45 South...
lildaddym is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #142 of 151 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 04:21 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Date registered: Oct 2014
Vehicle: 2004 SLK R171 200 Kompressor
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Last week in Germany on the Autobahn . It was just before the Dutch border, so I had to slow down, since in Holland maximum speed is 100-120 km/h, where as in Germany you can drive as fast as you can, as long as it is safe:

slk-A2 is offline  
post #143 of 151 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 06:29 PM
BenzWorld Veteran
 
NYYYCE&EEEEZY's Avatar
 
Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 1989 560SL; 2014 E350; 1960 190SL-sold; 1996 280C-sold
Location: Mid Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 615
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slk-A2 View Post
...in Germany you can drive as fast as you can, as long as it is safe
Sort of like the oxymoron "Jumbo Shrimp"!

When out on the road, it's always best to watch out for Pot holes, Sink holes, and those other Holes!

Robert AKA: EEEEZY
You can't get us confused. I'm also "Nice", but NYYYCE is NEVER "Easy"!
NYYYCE&EEEEZY is offline  
post #144 of 151 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 08:37 AM
BenzWorld Member
 
DRBC43AMG's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2010
Vehicle: 98' C240T, 99' C43 AMG "T Rex"
Location: Locarno, Switzerland
Posts: 228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Last June when coming back from a visit to AMG headquarters in Affalterbach with my C43. I reached 240km but had to lift off the throttle due to traffic in front of me
dis 1 likes this.
DRBC43AMG is offline  
post #145 of 151 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 08:56 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
wooky_chew_bacca's Avatar
 
Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: '91 560SEC, '91 300SE (sold), '98 Yota, '02 S-10 Hauler
Location: Covington Ga
Posts: 6,862
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 845 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRBC43AMG View Post
Last June when coming back from a visit to AMG headquarters in Affalterbach with my C43. I reached 240km but had to lift off the throttle due to traffic in front of me
OH how I (and probably many others) wish we could run Autobahn speeds on this side of the pond, not necessarily in the metro-city areas but out in the sticks

Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints
My Stable:
'91 560SEC
'91 300SE (sold)
'98 Yota RAV4
'02 S-10 Truck
'72 SeaBird boat, overhaul on hold

Dif-tor heh smusma
wooky_chew_bacca is offline  
post #146 of 151 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 09:02 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Kajtek1's Avatar
 
Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Location: CA Bay Area
Posts: 31,751
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
It still would take whole generation to change the culture (if someone would work on it).
It is not just the top speed. Generally in Europe when green light comes on, all cars on the line will start moving at the same time and I have seen 10 cars passing intersection in 10 seconds.
In California 10 seconds usually will let the first driver time to wake up from whatever he/she is doing and start rolling. 2nd car will make it only if lucky.
Than famous entering the freeway at 45mph and cutting straight to left lane.

Kajtek1 is offline  
post #147 of 151 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 09:28 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
wooky_chew_bacca's Avatar
 
Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: '91 560SEC, '91 300SE (sold), '98 Yota, '02 S-10 Hauler
Location: Covington Ga
Posts: 6,862
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 845 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
Than famous entering the freeway at 45mph and cutting straight to left lane.
Or the equally famous cut from the left lane to the exit. What we need more of (and they finally got it right at I-85 and Hwy 316 in north Atlanta) is lanes separated for on and off from the dedicated straight through lanes

Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints
My Stable:
'91 560SEC
'91 300SE (sold)
'98 Yota RAV4
'02 S-10 Truck
'72 SeaBird boat, overhaul on hold

Dif-tor heh smusma
wooky_chew_bacca is offline  
post #148 of 151 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 10:07 AM
BenzWorld Member
 
Date registered: Sep 2014
Vehicle: 2004 Dodge 3500, 2013 c250
Location: Georgetown, Texas
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
It still would take whole generation to change the culture (if someone would work on it).
It is not just the top speed. Generally in Europe when green light comes on, all cars on the line will start moving at the same time and I have seen 10 cars passing intersection in 10 seconds.
In California 10 seconds usually will let the first driver time to wake up from whatever he/she is doing and start rolling. 2nd car will make it only if lucky.
Than famous entering the freeway at 45mph and cutting straight to left lane.
You know that guy 5 cars back with his horn blaring? Thats me!

Denis
Denis247 is offline  
post #149 of 151 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 09:04 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Kajtek1's Avatar
 
Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Location: CA Bay Area
Posts: 31,751
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis247 View Post
You know that guy 5 cars back with his horn blaring? Thats me!

Denis

I hear Italians just love to seat on the horns, but even in my native Poland women made an automotive joke:
"what is nanosecond?
The time from when green light comes-on to the time the driver behind you pushes his horn"

Kajtek1 is offline  
post #150 of 151 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 09:20 PM
BenzWorld Member
 
Date registered: Sep 2014
Vehicle: 2004 Dodge 3500, 2013 c250
Location: Georgetown, Texas
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
I hear Italians just love to seat on the horns, but even in my native Poland women made an automotive joke:
"what is nanosecond?
The time from when green light comes-on to the time the driver behind you pushes his horn"
When I was younger a nanosecond is all the lead car got. Now that I'm in my 40s, they get a full second.
Denis247 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











  • Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
     
    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page
    Display Modes
    Linear Mode Linear Mode



    Posting Rules  
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are On
    Pingbacks are On
    Refbacks are On

     

    Title goes here

    close
    video goes here
    description goes here. Read Full Story
    For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome