LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2014
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
W123 300D major thin oil issues!!

Hello everyone, this is my first post, so any help is greatly appreciated! I own a 1981 Mercedes 300D non turbo with 305, xxx miles.
I have been getting my oil and filter changed at a local meineke with no issues. After an oil change yesterday, I drove the car to school (in hot weather), and upon exiting the freeway I noticed my oil gauge was bouncing between the 1 and 2 notches, not sitting above the 2 notch as normal during idle (the car was at normal heat.) When I pulled over and checked the oil, it was EXTREMELY thin, but at full line indicator. I had no other choice but to drive home after school 30 miles (no loss in power, no smoke, no knocking or odd performance.) Upon checking the oil this morning, it was back to normal consistency, and at the correct line indicator, so I ran it again with the same, "thin oil", results.
Thank you everyone in advance you your help in this issue!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 01:10 PM

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 90 300E, 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
What weight oil was put in by Meineke? They could have missed the oil rating for a diesel.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 01:23 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2008
Vehicle: 1984 300D
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Besides the Oil itself issue there is 2 O-rings at the Bottom of the Oil Filter Tube that a lot of Mercedes owners do not know is there and they do not come in the Oil Filter Kit.

The stock setup calls for 2 of the same 6mmIDx10mmODx2mmW O-rings even though the upper diameter one of the O-rings goes on is larger.

Autozone sells a Metric O-ring assortment made by Dorman for less than $8.
Dorman Metric 172 piece O-ring Value Pack #799-450
In it are 24 of the 6mmIDx10mmODx2mmW O-rings that you need for the bottom of the Oil Filter Stem: enough for 12 O-ring changes if you use the same sized O-rings each time you change it.

Some People including Myself use a 7mm O-ring for the upper one but that is your choice as stock is the 6mm one.
On 617.952s you can substitute a 7mmx11mmx2mm in the upper groove on the Oil Filter Stem instead of the 6mmx10mmx2mm. If you do that you have enough O-rings for 24 O-ring changes. (This was suggested by another member and I did it and it works; since I bought the O-ring kit I do this on mine.)

My experience is that you do not need to change those O-rings with every Oil Change but of course that is up to you.

There is more then a few stories of Oil Change Places that have had bad outcomes. Usually from stripped Oil Filter Cap Nuts/Studs or the Oil Pan Bolt.

Last edited by 300Dman; 05-15-2014 at 01:26 PM.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Hey noodles, I called meineke, and they used 5w-30 (I usually use 15w-40)....and they have been using the same oil the past 5 oil changes...the odd thing is, the oil doesn't smell like diesel, nor is it cloudy.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 01:26 PM

Lifetime Premium Member
That is just too thin for the diesel. The filter can stay, but you really should move up to the 15w40 oil.(and hopefully on their dime) They should know better on a diesel.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 01:30 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2008
Vehicle: 1984 300D
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
In 7 years of reading the various Mercedes Forums I can remember one Member that noticed the Oil Cooler Thermstat was not working.
The symptom for that would be if driving a lot the Oil Cooler and or the Oil Cooler Hoses were not hot.
The exception to the above test would be during an extremely cold Winter and a shot drive the Oil Cooler and Hoses might not get hot.

A non-functioning Oil Cooler Thermostat (it is in the Oil Filter Housing) would cause the Oil to remain too hot and that would tend to thin it.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
That's a great idea 300D man, as it's not showing normal signs of an oil cooler failure, is this an easy fix?
Noodles- I wish it was on their dime! They gave me the excuse of having 12 different oil recommendations, in which the 5w-30 was what they carry in bulk, and recommended for our areas climate (I call BS!) I will be replacing all the oil with 15w-40 tomorrow, and hoping for the best & will keep the lost updated with info. Thanks alot!

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 06:56 PM

Lifetime Premium Member
If I am wrong please correct me, but I believe you are in southern Cali.

No diesel will last long there running a 30 weight oil.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Close! I'm actually in the silicon valley, but with the heat we've been getting, it might as well be LA! ...I've been getting my oil changed with this place since the cooler months, so...I'm guessing the heat change made this problem worse.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
So after replacing the 5w-30 with 15w-40, the 300D is running as good as ever! Thanks for the help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in