BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2007
Vehicle: 2011 E 350 4matic
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
My thoughts after three cars

I have owned three MB E class cars.

The first was a 2001 E 320. I think the best one I owned. The luxury in that car was incredible. When I drove that car I couldn't believe I got to drive a car that nice.

The next was an 06 E class. Way more electronics and a little nicer ride. What happened to the luxury? Still nice but not what that other car was. Maybe I didn't get a good enough model.

Now I'm driving a 2011 E class. They call it the luxury model. not as much as the 06. A far cry from the 01. The car drives better than the older car and the electronics are far superior to the older cars. The seats feel kind of cheep. The whole interior is like a Chevy, kind of. The hood and trunk feel very light when you close them. I'm getting old so this could be the last one. Maybe to get the good stuff it has to be an S class?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 09:25 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
You still have Brabus on the line.
Don't know why you consider newer cars less luxury than the older ones?
I did not drive 2011 model, but our W211 is more comfortable than W210.
Reliability might be different issue.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 11:36 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2006
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree - seems Mercedes-Benz has cut corners in the interior of the E class - probably in an effort to keep the price down. My 2004 E500 (built to order and a Euro delivery) was, in many ways, much nicer inside than my current 2011 E550. I wouldn't go so far as to say "Chevy-like" but it's obvious that corners were cut - little things like fewer snaps for the floor mats, deletion of the "Rest" option in the HVAC, no passenger-side dynamic seat (it is heated and cooled), the feel of the leather in the seats.... That said, the electronics are improved (but already obsolete), the engine is stronger and the reliability seems better (better than the W210 for sure).
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 11:48 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 13 S550 4MATIC advantgarde edition, 2000 E55, 1982 500 SEC
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
The truth is MB saves its best for the S class. They ride beautifully, great platform, and are stuffed with the best leather , insulation , finishes , sound deadeners etc. Everything eventually trickles down to the other models. Drive an S class and you will know.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 01:15 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jun 2011
Vehicle: 1999 E320 Sedan
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B15M View Post
The hood and trunk feel very light when you close them.
Taking issue with this particular remark only: on cars, other things being equal, light is generally better than heavy in almost every area, and certainly as far as body parts are concerned. Advanced manufacturers have long sought to replace heavy steel with lighter steel, non-ferrous metals, plastic, even carbon fiber where feasible and economical.

Lighter body parts--again, other things being equal--means (perhaps: marginally, but still) better acceleration, less fuel consumption, perhaps even a lower center of gravity and thus better handling. Or it means that the weight saved there can be used for other, e.g. safety relevant features.

So while a light aluminium or even carbon fiber hood might feel "cheap" while a traditional steel hood feels heavier and thus more "solid," in reality in this case it is the heavier steel that represents not only the older, but also the "cheaper" technology.

Last edited by Simon_E; 04-29-2014 at 01:18 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 02:23 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: 216 with everything. 2002 SL500 with everything. 2009 SL500 with everything.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
I drive a 140 CL and a 216 CL, to be truthful its right what you say, and no way is there £100k difference in the price as is now, sure they both cost near enough the same new, even with the 16 year difference.

Malcolm

"I thought my vasectomy would keep my wife from getting pregnant but apparently it just changes the color of the baby."
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 06:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Apr 2014
Vehicle: 1991 300CE-24
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I agree. Maybe I just like living in the past but the first Benz I owned was a 1991 300CE-24 and even with 350,000 km on the clock it was beautiful, the leather was fantastic, it felt like a tank and everything worked.

I sat in a whole range of new Benzes in the Abu Dhabi Dealership last year and couldn't help but feel like the leather was a cheap throw back to the 70s style Mercs. There was too little distinction inside a standard E class to say an SL63AMG which says to me they are trying too hard to cut costs.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 07:54 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2013
Vehicle: 2003 CLK320 Cabriolet
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Lots of longing for the good ol' days.

So has the golden age of Mercedes come and gone yet again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in