LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Nov 2012
Vehicle: 1987 W124 260E
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Just how tough is a Mercedes? Rhino hide tough!

Anyone got a "how tough is your Mercedes" story?

I have always believed in the "toughness" of a Mercedes Benz, it is one of the qualities that I am attracted to with these fine automobiles, however, I went through something on my 1987 260E that blew me away.

We live in Mexico in the winter months, and I made a trip into our local industrial town, to get my new motorcycle battery filled with acid, at the local battery shop. It was a typical crowded, hot, slow traffic day, but I was in no hurry.

After becoming good friends with the local battery guy, and he filled my tiny battery for free (I tipped him) and I put the batter in a galvanized bucket on the floor of the passenger seat.

I got out into traffic, and had rolled down the windows, and opened the sunroof, thinking the battery is probably gassing, and I would be healthier breathing fresh air.

While sitting at a long light, and stuck in a long hot line, I suddenly heard a POW! PFFt-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-!…..instantly, I was covered in battery acid! My face (I had sunglasses on, they were dripping) The front windshield, the dash, the visors….all dripping with battery acid! Dripping everywhere... I freaked!

I quickly puled over to a drive in beer shop lot, grabbed all the rags I had, and started wiping it down. I knew I was screwed! Oh man, acid on my very nice 27 year old MBX interior….I was bumming!

After a long time wiping, and wiping some more, it was dang hot work! I could not see any obvious damage. I checked the battery, and the vent tube had a plastic cap on it, that should have been removed before filling. The top of the battery actually separated from the case!

I went back to see my new best friend at the battery shop…..I showed him the battery, he shrugged, said, senior, you should have removed the cap….I said, hey amigo, your the battery guy, another shrug, and an offer for more free acid!

Well I took it, went home, and epoxied up the case, still works like a champ (honda trail 90, best bike Honda ever made)

This is my clothing, after I got home. My forearms were a little burnt….:-)

Just how tough is a Mercedes? Rhino hide tough!-img_2254.jpg

The only real "hole" was in some fabric next to the drivers seat.
Just how tough is a Mercedes? Rhino hide tough!-post-019-1-.jpg

And the discoloration is all that really shows, where I missed wiping behind the mirror visor
Just how tough is a Mercedes? Rhino hide tough!-post-020-1-.jpg
The very light freckles, are to be seen in couple spots where I missed, but all in all….I told my wife, if this was a 27 year old toyota, it would be swiss cheese!
Just how tough is a Mercedes? Rhino hide tough!-post-021-1-.jpg

1987 260 E 190K
My mechanic is BenzWorld/YouTube

Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: