post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2014
Vehicle: 1999 E300TD
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
'99 E300TD...Aux Coolant Pump Leak?

Need to replace the pump or eliminate it?

Looks like I'll have to remove large air intake hose to get down to the pump, anything else? Are bolts holding the pump bracket accessible from top side?

Read where some have taken the two large hoses off the pump and connected them together with a pipe, thus eliminating the pump. Any reason why I shouldn't do this? I'm located in FL so don't need to use the heater very often. Will it mess up my CCU? If I go this route, what do I do with the third hose (the smallest one which I'm told heats the washer fluid ) that comes off the pump?

thanks
Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Anyone have any thoughts on the questions I posted yesterday?

thanks
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 02:32 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
I see no problem bypassing the pump in warm climate, but don't you also have washer fluid heater coming with it? You'd have to cap it off.
Heater will still work, just not at idle.
Pumps itself is hold by rubber ring- it will slide out with no tools.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
I'm in the middle of by-passing the pump. I've disconnected the two larger hoses from the pump and joined them together using a plastic joint. Since I'm not removing the pump, I left the hose going to the washer bottle still hooked to the pump, not sure whether I actually have to remove and plug that hose connection at the water bottle? I disconnected the 12v plug at the pump. My next and last step is to remove and plug the other hose at the water bottle, the one that runs back toward the firewall and actually is attached to another hose, next to the oil filter (space is limited).

You are the first to indicate that the pump slides out of it's bracket without first removing the bracket? Hope you are right, much easier than first removing bracket?

Found out that the correct part number for the '99 diesel pump is 0018358664, whereas the gas number is 0018353564. Primary difference is that the three pump ports orientation is different. Assume they can be interchanged but would require several different hoses.

Bill
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 09:29 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Per my experience MB is using the same pump design for about 40 years. The motors are interchangeable, just older models did not have washer heater, so one port less.
I wonder if the difference you mention is not turning the port 90 degrees on bolts.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
From what I can see don't believe just turning the port 90* will work, but will work if one uses at least one new hose for the run between the pump and the engine. Might be able to get by re-using the small hose that runs to the washer bottle. The hose that runs to the duovalve should still work.

Bill
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
I by-passed the pump, the engine runs fine and the temp is normal, about half way up the dial. But, my windshield washer not working nor is my blower?

To do the by-pass I pulled the two large hoses off and joined them together, I left the small windshield washer hose connected to the pump but disconnected it at the bottle. I disconnected the other bottle hose (the one that goes toward the firewall) at the bottle and plugged it. I pulled the 12v plug at the pump, so no juice going there. I also plugged both of the metal tubes at the bottle where the two hoses had been attached.

Any thoughts?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjob View Post
I by-passed the pump, the engine runs fine and the temp is normal, about half way up the dial. But, my windshield washer not working nor is my blower?

To do the by-pass I pulled the two large hoses off and joined them together, I left the small windshield washer hose connected to the pump but disconnected it at the bottle. I disconnected the other bottle hose (the one that goes toward the firewall) at the bottle and plugged it. I pulled the 12v plug at the pump, so no juice going there. I also plugged both of the metal tubes at the bottle where the two hoses had been attached.

Any thoughts?
Any body help on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in