r350 suspension fluid resevoir question, where is it. - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: May 2012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
r350 suspension fluid resevoir question, where is it.

We have had a fluid leak that 5 trips to the Memphis dealer has not fixed on our R350. I noticed recently that the tail of the car started sitting down and requiring a minute to raise and stabilize. Now the car is leaning on the driver side and is not coming back up all the way. I wonder if this could be a result of low suspension fluid from the mystery leak. If so, where do I fill it so I can eliminate other things from the suspension problem before I pay a fortune to have the car fixed. Naturally they were never able to fix under Warranty and now my extended warranty is up and it is on me. They really piss me off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 11:33 PM

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 90 300E, 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I thought the R350 had the airmatic suspension?

If it does there is no place to add hydraulic fluid for the suspension.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
I went out earlier and I can hear an air leak on the left rear corner of the car. My R350 has the C/S button for suspension adjustment. Reason I asked about fluid is because I watched a video about cleaning the solenoids in the front left corner of the can and it said to refill the fluid. Their is a bottle located on the top and I assumed it was fluid filled. Sounds like I need new air shocks in back first. Is there some sort of pressure relief valve back by the air shock?
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 02:35 PM

Lifetime Premium Member
There is a solenoid that can stick open. The only safe way I know to release air is using the MB Star computer.

One thing that could be causing it is a corroded hose fitting where the line meets the fitting on the air pressure reservoir. If you live in an area where salt is used in the winter that would be well worth checking to make sure that connection has a perfect seal.

If it turns out you need a new air spring then I would go with Arnott.
https://www.arnottindustries.com/par...18_pid156.html
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
I ordered Arnott springs(from Oreilly autoparts for 169 delivered to my local store) for the back so whether they are bad or not I will have new ones one the car on Tuesday. Releasing the pressure on the driver side is easy because it takes about 5 minutes to bleed down to nothing. I will release that one first and then go to the other side. Suppose opening the connection up on the top slowly should work there. I have seen videos and I am a fairly competent wrench so I am not worried about changing the air shocks. I get why the left rear is sitting low but I am not sure I get why the car has pumped the passenger side up to max. It sits so high that the front appears to be up higher than t should be but it hardly pulls so who knows. I peaked under the wheel well and it looks like I have traditional coil over struts up front so the high riding front makes no sense to. Not sure if the S/C button only stiffens up the rear or it is just a pretty button at this point. I see where it changes on the Dash but I can't say I really noticed anything else. Sounds like after the struts are changed I may need to go to MB to have the suspension reset? is that usually how it works? Is there no way to get the car back to the right spot and just drive. I don't want them trying to sell me the solenoid block next. For such a nice driving car I am starting to believe it to be more complicated than it needs to be.

Just curious, I see 3 lines going to the compressor. are there two outs and one return?

Last edited by rottenralph; 02-15-2014 at 03:08 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 04:55 PM

Lifetime Premium Member
The lines from the compressor go to a valve block, I would have to look it up on my WIS which is at the shop. If I remember correctly from working on my W211 all the lines go to the valve block.

You may not have to take it to the dealer. If the level sensors are working correctly it may very well find its happy spot once the rear air bags inflate.

Also before you put any weight of the rear end on the ground let the compressor run for about 20-30 seconds to get some pressure in the air springs. You do not want to put full weight on the air springs with no pressure in them. With the compressor running you will see the suspension start to move a little as pressure builds up. That is all it will take before you lower it onto the ground. After that the ride height and level should do the rest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in