abs & esp light on ??? - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 08:55 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2013
Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz S320 2000 (W) reg.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow..... I like your style. I'm an old git too and I really do know where your coming from on this.
Here in the UK,we get ripped off by the dealers too, they all want a piece, (they've got their hands on your wallet as soon as you step into the office!!!!).
Anyway,doing it myself gives me a nice feeling of having achieved something. Here's to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 02:51 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
Having mechanical education myself, I know that learning car electronics is not that easy.
But I prize W210 as DIY friendly and in close to 10 years of using those cars I survived without advanced scanner. The only time I had transmission problems and facing $150 for reading the codes, I took my chances and bough new electric plate for $140,
Unfortunately the DIY friendliness ends with W211 where even deflating suspension bags require Star Diagnosis.
Let us know how that $500 scanner works for you? Real SD cost over 20 grands and I will not spend it even if I buy W212
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2014
Vehicle: 2007 ML320 CDI Sport Utility
(Thread Starter)
UPDATE on this original thread and using a copy of a new thread started minutes ago. Mind you no fault messages, lights, or fault codes anymore, but the self braking is worse than I thought to be originally, read below. P.S. Did consult a dealer with no luck but there were no techs on duty Saturday and cannot drive this vehicle to a dealer as bad and as often (constantly) as these brakes are applying on their own.

On going problem and my wife cannot even drive this vehicle due to the front brakes grabbing on their own. And this all started after cleaning a wheel sensor which has since been replaced so probably was good, just dirty as I thought. Cleaned it due to an ESP/ABS light on. Mind you, I cannot even go around the block without them constantly grabbing on their own and seems to be worse when turning. I was mainly turning left turns.

Got my Autoaid diagnostic tool and was able to reset all the faults and all mainly due to low voltage caused by the lights being left on. (which is another ? as to why the lights left on alarm did not sound or come up on screen???) After resetting all fault codes and taking vehicle a very short distance (test run) due to the brakes still applying on their own I then re-ran the diagnostics and came up with NO fault codes. Earlier I did write down the fault codes in the ESP/ABS but unable to decipher most of them (all 4 digit numbers: 5106-5110-7266-5102-6001-7286-7271) Anyone have any input?

I hear allot about 06's and earlier having the brake light switch cause this problem but this 07 has a hydraulic brake switch which you can see at this site (Painless Universal Brake Light Switch - JCWhitney) It is a part #80171 and I have no idea where to find it on this 07 vehicle and no luck with internet searches.

I also hear the steering angle sensor has an impact but can it cause constant random self braking. I did run through the reset (left lock-right lock- center-da da da) with no change. I do have a new steering angle sensor but would like to hear some feedback before I put it in. Note I already replaced the yaw sensor which is found under the front passengers floor board on an 07.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 05:28 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: 2000 E320 4Matic--1990 300 SEL--1999 SL500 AMG
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to C Holmes
MB star C3 vs Carsoft V12

Hi, I know this has been beat to death but sometimes it is very hard to understand or get a clear answer on a question. Humour me please? I want to buy one of these things as I have three MB's and it would be a handy thing to have. Which one becomes the question. They seem to be about the same in price which incidentally is all over the map. From what I can figure somewhere between $200-$400 for either one my choice. Does anyone have any experience with both? Recommend one over the other? Reliability or ease of use or are they about the same just with different names. I see the Carsoft has v7 and v12 out there. I assume v12 being the better of the two. Also can anyone point me towards a vendor? I also notice Chinese versions available.

Last edited by C Holmes; 03-10-2014 at 05:29 AM. Reason: wrong area
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 08:53 AM
Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2012
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Premium Member
remember , you are buying stolen technology , been there , the chinese version of DAS is usually DOA , car soft could be same .if you are going that route , i would find a us sale place , so you can deal with them .China is a long way . legal aftermarket scanners that use to cost $3200 , a decade ago are now $ 1200 and a lot more capable .the one lately that people talk about is the maxidas DS 708 .do a google .it does all brands .
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2014
Vehicle: 2007 ML320 CDI Sport Utility
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Holmes View Post
Hi, I know this has been beat to death but sometimes it is very hard to understand or get a clear answer on a question. Humour me please? I want to buy one of these things as I have three MB's and it would be a handy thing to have. Which one becomes the question. They seem to be about the same in price which incidentally is all over the map. From what I can figure somewhere between $200-$400 for either one my choice. Does anyone have any experience with both? Recommend one over the other? Reliability or ease of use or are they about the same just with different names. I see the Carsoft has v7 and v12 out there. I assume v12 being the better of the two. Also can anyone point me towards a vendor? I also notice Chinese versions available.
I take it, your talking about the diagnostic tool. I have a AUTOAID which comes out of Germany which you pay for the license for each brand of vehicle. I purchased mine off of E-bay with the MB license and a years worth of updates for around $500 and I see they are still available but have jumped up to $600. I am not able to program the system to accept newer updated modules but it does reset fault codes including the esp/abs system. It's no where near as good as STAR but does way more than an off the shelf diagnostic tool which usually doesn't even read the esp/abs system like this one does. The off the shelf model/brands that say abs are usually referring to the "air bag system" It has to say esp/abs to refer to the "anti lock brake system"
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 09:48 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by loneeagle View Post
I take it, your talking about the diagnostic tool. I have a AUTOAID which comes out of Germany which you pay for the license for each brand of vehicle. I purchased mine off of E-bay with the MB license and a years worth of updates for around $500 and I see they are still available but have jumped up to $600. I am not able to program the system to accept newer updated modules but it does reset fault codes including the esp/abs system. It's no where near as good as STAR but does way more than an off the shelf diagnostic tool which usually doesn't even read the esp/abs system like this one does. The off the shelf model/brands that say abs are usually referring to the "air bag system" It has to say esp/abs to refer to the "anti lock brake system"
Even with Star you will need an internet link to the factory in Germany to do most updates and only dealers have this.

ERIC.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 10:11 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2014
Vehicle: 2003 SL500, 2000 S500
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by agillot View Post
...the chinese version of DAS is usually DOA...
I bought an SDS system from China in '08, and it has worked beautifully. If anyone has one of these DOA systems that they wish to sell cheap, I'm a potential buyer. Send me a PM.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 03:59 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2014
Vehicle: E 200 Classic Kompressor A
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i am a newby on this ite but i would like to share my probs with you ,
i allso had the same proble and at the risk of repeating many others first the brake light switch might be suspect 2nd the 4 wheel speed sensers .....
esaly checked if you have the gear a multi meter front wheels are a bit of aggo but you have to get to the plugs that come from the wheel senser jack the car upremove wheel and you can see two cables 1 for pad senser and the other is wheel speed DEEP BREATH
diconect with ign OFF 2 plugs sliped /joined together
now connect the meter to the cable coming from the senser with meter set on ohms apox 1600 ohms should be read if thats the case senser is ok ( the conectors are very small i used .5mm boot lace feralls to slip over the conections then inserted test probe to them) ps this plug is located inside the wing road side a metal clip holds the plug in place ONE MORE DEEP BREATH with the conections still in place set the meter to m/volts
spin the disc with a gloved hand it herts if you catch your hand when spining the disc a reading sould be gained 0 no spin up to 100 m volt the faster you spin do that to both front ...........now to the back plugs located unedr the rear seat jack car up but now wheel removal is nessasary test ohms as in front test m Volts as in front you can then at least see if you have a problem there .Now if you have a good ohm reading and no m volts check reluctor ring info on this is avable on mb site have fun i know ive been there and working on it NOW
best Ian
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 04:03 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2014
Vehicle: E 200 Classic Kompressor A
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
ps sorry cant spell for toffies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in