LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Are Mercedes hypochondriacs?

I was always reluctant to buy a Mercedes because the nearest qualified repair person is 50 miles away.

Finally bought a 2007 350CLK convertible , 50K miles on it, a year ago and everything was fine until the SRS warning message and light went off. Had to spend the whole day taking it down to this repair person and she said it was something to do with an airbag resistor. She also noted that three or four other codes had gone off on the diagnostic computer but not to worry about them because they did not involve the transmission or engine (???) After some deliberation she decided to simply reset the diagnostic computer and told me to come back should the SRS warning message come back on. She is a former German Lufthansa mechanic and I trust her completely. It's been two weeks and the warning message has not come on since.

This has however made me somewhat nervous. Is it normal for the diagnostic computer to report these codes? ( My warning message indicator never went off in till his SRS issue came on about two weeks ago).

Is this the behavior expected from a Mercedes? Are luxury Japanese cars any different? I know in medicine lots of time some slight abnormalities come up on tests and the doctor says not to worry about them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 04:45 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2008
Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip2 View Post
I was always reluctant to buy a Mercedes because the nearest qualified repair person is 50 miles away.

Finally bought a 2007 350CLK convertible , 50K miles on it, a year ago and everything was fine until the SRS warning message and light went off. Had to spend the whole day taking it down to this repair person and she said it was something to do with an airbag resistor. She also noted that three or four other codes had gone off on the diagnostic computer but not to worry about them because they did not involve the transmission or engine (???) After some deliberation she decided to simply reset the diagnostic computer and told me to come back should the SRS warning message come back on. She is a former German Lufthansa mechanic and I trust her completely. It's been two weeks and the warning message has not come on since.

This has however made me somewhat nervous. Is it normal for the diagnostic computer to report these codes? ( My warning message indicator never went off in till his SRS issue came on about two weeks ago).

Is this the behavior expected from a Mercedes? Are luxury Japanese cars any different? I know in medicine lots of time some slight abnormalities come up on tests and the doctor says not to worry about them.
If you purchased a Lexus or Infiniti and the nearest shop was 50 miles away and this situation happened you would ask if European luxury cars any different.

Do you go to a dealer or is this a independent shop? If you are that far away possibly look into a shop who can do some work that is closer to you. The CLK350 for the most part is not overly complex. Do some searches on here as well. If you are handy you can DIY.

2015 Dodge Caravan (9K) NY
2012 Mercedes E350 4Matic Sport (40K) NY
2006 Mercedes CL600 (48K) NY
2005 Mercedes CLK55 AMG Coupe (28K) FL
2005 Mercedes C240 4Matic (200K) NY
2004 Mercedes CLK320 Cabriolet (45K) FL
2002 Porsche 911 C4 Coupe (69K) NY
1999 Ferrari F355 6 Speed (17K) FL
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000 C280 Sport View Post

Do you go to a dealer or is this a independent shop? If you are that far away possibly look into a shop who can do some work that is closer to you. The CLK350 for the most part is not overly complex. Do some searches on here as well. If you are handy you can DIY.
This lady deals only with Mercedes and BMW's and has an excellent reputation. There is no one closer I would trust- no one closer could even hook up to the diagnostic computer.

The question I was trying to ask is that do I need to worry that warning messages and fault messages showing up on the computer mean I am headed for problems or is this "normal computer errors" that come up randomly and don't mean much?
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 06:40 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Newer cars are plagued with computer glitches and the only difference might be that some brands have less computers and sensors, therefore less glitches.
Typical comparison for me is fact that MB went drive by wire on full scale back in 1995 and that did not create problems.
Toyota and Lexus copy the idea several years later and people die in result.
If you have that lady checking the codes and doing resets for less than $50, than you are in good shape. Still you might want to buy your own scanner at some point.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 07:26 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2008
Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
This lady deals only with Mercedes and BMW's and has an excellent reputation. There is no one closer I would trust- no one closer could even hook up to the diagnostic computer.

The question I was trying to ask is that do I need to worry that warning messages and fault messages showing up on the computer mean I am headed for problems or is this "normal computer errors" that come up randomly and don't mean much?

Sounds like you have your situation under control then. She sounds very reliable. Best bet is to keep on plugging in a and figuring out the issue. SRS issue in a CLK 209 is a pretty common issue. Best bet is to not just clear it because the light will keep coming back. Clearing is a temporary fix for inspection purpose.

2015 Dodge Caravan (9K) NY
2012 Mercedes E350 4Matic Sport (40K) NY
2006 Mercedes CL600 (48K) NY
2005 Mercedes CLK55 AMG Coupe (28K) FL
2005 Mercedes C240 4Matic (200K) NY
2004 Mercedes CLK320 Cabriolet (45K) FL
2002 Porsche 911 C4 Coupe (69K) NY
1999 Ferrari F355 6 Speed (17K) FL
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
Newer cars are plagued with computer glitches and the only difference might be that some brands have less computers and sensors, therefore less glitches.
Typical comparison for me is fact that MB went drive by wire on full scale back in 1995 and that did not create problems.
Toyota and Lexus copy the idea several years later and people die in result.
If you have that lady checking the codes and doing resets for less than $50, than you are in good shape. Still you might want to buy your own scanner at some point.
OK,
Let me really blow this topic open.

Do all these hi tech computer sensors and monitors actually make for a more reliable car, with less chance of major breakdown? If not , what are they there for?
In my case, so far they have just caused anxiety
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 08:58 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Quote:

Do all these hi tech computer sensors and monitors actually make for a more reliable car, with less chance of major breakdown?
Well... yes, indeed.
How many times lately have you hear about modern Mercedes dropping the rod, burning the crankshaft bearing, burning a valve or spilling the transmission gears on the road?
You can tell it is mechanical reliability, but beside few sensors that computer need to manage the engine performance with great economical savings - the rest of the sensors protect the car from the driver.
In another words - Mercedes cars become more and more idiotproof.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in