post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2012
Vehicle: 2005 Mercedes Benz c240 base w203 sedan
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Car won't start in the cold

Hey all, I'm in desperate need of some advice.
Last summer I bought a 2005 C240 with 42k miles on it, it drove really well until it hit winter time and got cold, then one cold morning I went to start it and it would not start at all. I had to push my foot on the gas pedal to get it to start. So last winter I brought it to a mechanic who said it was my fuel injectors, so he replaced them. That didn't fix it. Then he said it was my fuel pump and filter. That didn't fix it. Then he said it was my spark plugs. That didn't fix it. After all this happened, it started to get warmer and the car would start up fine. Well, it's winter time again so I bought it to another mechanic who works for Ferrari and Tesla and he said it was my camshaft and crankshaft sensor. He installed them tonight, that didn't fix it. I'm at a loss, no mechanic can find out what's wrong with this thing and Mercedes wants to charge me $200 an hour just to look at it, I really can't afford that. Has _anyone_ had similar problems and could point me in the right direction as far as what is wrong? My next step is really to just bring it to Mercedes but I'm not going to have enough money to get my car back once they diagnose it =X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 09:23 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2013
Vehicle: 1986 230E
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage
I am not real fluent in the newer stuff but i may be of some help. Engines need more fuel when cold starting this is why when you step on the gas it starts. What you need to find is either a bad temp sensor which tells the computer to dump more fuel automatically on a cold start or maybe a cold start solenoid. If you find the temp sensor or sensors (maybe more than one) you can porbably test them yourself, just Google it Sometimes all you need is a 9 volt battery to test them. Also the Mechanics you took your car too don't sound to reliable i would not have replaced any of those parts first.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 06:19 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I would probably have started with an MB dealer and if they gave me a long laundry list of recommended work, then seek a 2nd opinion. $200/hour is ridiculous, mine charges $102.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
They ended up diagnosing it as a computer issue, and narrowed it down to the ring gear on the ME computer which wasn't communicating correctly, so they re-installed and reset the part and they said it works now. They had it for over a week. I haven't tested it myself, won't know till tomorrow morning, but they said they made sure it was working before they wanted to give it back to me. I guess on the bright side of all the parts I bought and had put in is that they're new so I shouldn't have any problems with those for a while lol..
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 07:38 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2008
Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carfo View Post
Hey all, I'm in desperate need of some advice.
Last summer I bought a 2005 C240 with 42k miles on it, it drove really well until it hit winter time and got cold, then one cold morning I went to start it and it would not start at all. I had to push my foot on the gas pedal to get it to start. So last winter I brought it to a mechanic who said it was my fuel injectors, so he replaced them. That didn't fix it. Then he said it was my fuel pump and filter. That didn't fix it. Then he said it was my spark plugs. That didn't fix it. After all this happened, it started to get warmer and the car would start up fine. Well, it's winter time again so I bought it to another mechanic who works for Ferrari and Tesla and he said it was my camshaft and crankshaft sensor. He installed them tonight, that didn't fix it. I'm at a loss, no mechanic can find out what's wrong with this thing and Mercedes wants to charge me $200 an hour just to look at it, I really can't afford that. Has _anyone_ had similar problems and could point me in the right direction as far as what is wrong? My next step is really to just bring it to Mercedes but I'm not going to have enough money to get my car back once they diagnose it =X
$200 per hour to work on a W203? Hopefully it starts and is in working order now. What I would also do is invest in a OBD Scanner so you can check the codes if/when a event like this occurs. Keep us posted!

2015 Dodge Caravan (9K) NY

2012 Mercedes E350 4Matic Sport (43K) NY

2006 Mercedes CL600 (49K) NY

2005 Mercedes CLK55 AMG Coupe (29K) FL

2005 Mercedes C240 4Matic (225K) NY

2004 Mercedes CLK320 Cabriolet (47K) FL

2002 Porsche 911 C4 Coupe (70K) NY

1999 Ferrari F355 6 Speed (17K) FL
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 08:02 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2013
Vehicle: 2005 c320 4matic
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sounds like a problem mine had but the crankshaft position sensor replacement fixed it. Wow $200 who's charging you that? MB dealers don't even charge that much.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
I actually misunderstood the guy on the phone regarding their rate, it's not $200 an hour, it's $129, sorry bout that confusion.

edit: so a little update in case someone stumbled onto this thread and has the same issue as me. After they gave the car back to me, a couple nights later it had the problems all over again. Frustrated, I called Mercedes corporate and they were able to get me 3 hours of free work at the dealership, during which case the dealership reprogrammed the computer on the car. I've had it back for weeks now and even on a night where it dropped below 0 degrees Fahrenheit it started up like a champ. So my problem this whole time was a computer issue...

Last edited by carfo; 01-24-2014 at 06:49 PM.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 12:07 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2015
Vehicle: 2005 C240
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Question Im having a similiar problem

When you were having this problem, once the car was started did it give you any more starting problems during the day? I am having the same issue but once mine starts its good to go for the day, I can restart it no problem, just seems like its doesn't want to start first thing in the morning. It didn't do this last winter either, just noticed it this winter as it started cooling down, and it doesn't get that cold here in central valley, ca. Low around 30 @ night.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 12:22 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

2003 cl55 amg After replacing cps 3 times in a week The dealer said it neads New module $3800 did any one had this problem before? Thanks guys
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 01:25 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

When I got stock in fort Myers fl the mb dealer charged me $750 to replace cps then after 2 hours of driving I made a stop and no start next morning after doing some recearch disconnected the wire from CPS and connected it again and the engine started ,went to AutoZone and purchased a new sensor and installed it after 2 more hours of driving made an other stop and no star now it's back o. The dealer and they said its a module problem a $3800 parts and labor I hope that fixes the problems
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in