Car won't start in the cold - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 06:13 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2015
Vehicle: 2005 C240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
any update on this post? Im having the same issue with mine.

Thanks
Mlee1951 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 07:02 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: toys: 92 400e,92 300CE & 93 400SEL with daily driver:12 Civic, Workhorse: 15 F150 & Porsche 944
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1057 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to oefvetw124lover Send a message via Yahoo to oefvetw124lover
your cars are newer but the fundamentals are the same

if you cant start it, its either a spark or a fuel issue.
if it cranks then it is a fuel issue.

now- in the winter, all the condensation in the tank freezes up and makes it difficult to start the car. depending on your fuel source (favorite gas station) , it may already have excessive moisture. the moisture can freeze in the lines on impede the flow of fuel through the fuel filter.

Simple tip- get some HEET (RED BOTTLE) from walmart. put 2 in the tank and go for a quick highway run.

The HEET converts the condensation in the tank and burns it off as water. it helps !

Carl

Veteran
Albany, NY, USA

92 300ce and others
"Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night
because rough men stand ready
to do violence on their behalf."

Si vis pacem, para bellum
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 07:03 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: toys: 92 400e,92 300CE & 93 400SEL with daily driver:12 Civic, Workhorse: 15 F150 & Porsche 944
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1057 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to oefvetw124lover Send a message via Yahoo to oefvetw124lover
Tip #2
of possible, change the fuel filter. it could be clogged and the moisture is hindering the fuel system

Carl

Veteran
Albany, NY, USA

92 300ce and others
"Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night
because rough men stand ready
to do violence on their behalf."

Si vis pacem, para bellum
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 07:24 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Vehicle: 2005 C240
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Mine is actually flooding. I can pull the pump fuse and it will fire right up. Plug the fuse back in before it drives and it runs fine. Something is telling computer to throw more fuel in than needed. Any ideas on this?
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 09:59 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The fortmeyers dealer in Florida charged me $750 for the cps I didn't know better
The next day I replaced an other one cost me $54 I did it in 45 minutes
However that was never the problem now I'm stock at the dealer in pompano beach they say the module is not communicating with the cps $3800 , I don't know if I can trust the dealers specialy when There is no waranty left on the car
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 09:10 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Apr 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewilson80 View Post
Mine is actually flooding. I can pull the pump fuse and it will fire right up. Plug the fuse back in before it drives and it runs fine. Something is telling computer to throw more fuel in than needed. Any ideas on this?
This is exactly whats happening to mine!!! have you figured the problem out?
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 12:00 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewilson80 View Post
When you were having this problem, once the car was started did it give you any more starting problems during the day? I am having the same issue but once mine starts its good to go for the day, I can restart it no problem, just seems like its doesn't want to start first thing in the morning. It didn't do this last winter either, just noticed it this winter as it started cooling down, and it doesn't get that cold here in central valley, ca. Low around 30 @ night.
Exactly the same problem with my 2004 C240. Problem started a couple of years ago. Changed battery, a full tune-up replacing plugs,all filters, and all fluids. Even replaced Cam position sensor and crank position sensor. And still having problems with the morning start. The car had about 40k miles and car is always garaged indoor when problem first surfaced. I read somewhere it might be Engine Control Unit. Need to replaced or reprogrammed. Pretty disappointed with my first MB.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 12:04 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlee1951 View Post
Exactly the same problem with my 2004 C240. Problem started a couple of years ago. Changed battery, a full tune-up replacing plugs,all filters, and all fluids. Even replaced Cam position sensor and crank position sensor. And still having problems with the morning start. The car had about 40k miles and car is always garaged indoor when problem first surfaced. I read somewhere it might be Engine Control Unit. Need to replaced or reprogrammed. Pretty disappointed with my first MB.
Also read about looking into the temperature sensors.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 01:04 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfo View Post
I actually misunderstood the guy on the phone regarding their rate, it's not $200 an hour, it's $129, sorry bout that confusion.

edit: so a little update in case someone stumbled onto this thread and has the same issue as me. After they gave the car back to me, a couple nights later it had the problems all over again. Frustrated, I called Mercedes corporate and they were able to get me 3 hours of free work at the dealership, during which case the dealership reprogrammed the computer on the car. I've had it back for weeks now and even on a night where it dropped below 0 degrees Fahrenheit it started up like a champ. So my problem this whole time was a computer issue...
This is exactly what is happening to my 2004 C240. I had the car fully serviced, changed plugs, filters, fluids, Crank Position Sensor and Cam Position Sensor, and the battery. It take a couple of tries to start the car during the cold winter months. Can I ask you what was done to the computer on the C240? Can anybody shed some information on this? Btw, is this a job only the dealer can perform??? If so, how do I explain to it to them??? After reading about this cold starting problem, it beginning to sound like a bad design flaw in the C240. Thanks for any ideas that can get my problem solved.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 05:55 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

2004 C240 Cold Start problem w/60K miles

These days, I have to try several attempts to start the C240. Problem with the cold start started to happen late December. Can someone please shed some light regarding an update to the Engine Control Unit (I am assuming it is a software update of some sort) and a cost estimate. For the last few years, I haven't solved my cold start problem. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated. Thanks......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in