Date registered: Oct 2013
Vehicle: 2014 C300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ex BMW guy's 0.02 cents
Thought I take this opportunity to share my experience and my view points coming from an ex-loyal BMW guy since 2004 with the most recent 2008 BMW 335I. In a nut shell, BMW lost me when their designers made their new cars with unnecessary complications such as idiotic cup holders on the dash board to truck sounding walmart grade bridgestone run flat tires. Their iDrive has forced me to take blood pressure pills, while their steering wheel was becoming an annoyance to hold. And finally, their awesome TT motor in the 335i ... awesome at wanting new fuel injectors every year.
On to a new beginning:
Just picked up my 2014 C300 in Newmarket and much to my delight, had very little negative items to point out. Overall, excellent purchase experience at the dealership. BMW dealers (in comparison) now seem a bit "high volume chevy" type of dealers... who's main objective is to sell a lot of BMWs (this is my opinion and not necessarily a fact). MB dealer seemed very unique and catering to a very specific market. Perhaps that maybe a dealer specific thing? I felt 50% less pressure in buying a car and 50% more informed as compared to BMW experience. My MB sales rep made the deal close to 7pm on a Wednesday.... and confidently told me to go home and relax and all documents will be emailed for me to read and respond via email to confirm the deal. No deposit, no rush, no signatures anywhere. The Business Manager emailed me as well asking if I would be interested in any of their after market items such as tinting, glass protection, tire insurance etc. She later asked if the following Saturday would be good for me to take delivery of the new car... to which I confirmed. Again, this could be a dealer specific thing. Saturday came along and I signed what appeared to be 100 pages of endless signatures.
The new C300 was brought out and I felt like a 10 year old who just got his brand new BMX bike back in 1986. Here are my initial thoughts:
1. Love the fact the dash has all the necessary features strategically positioned within arms reach. All the buttons make logical sense.
2. Cup holder... exactly where it should be!
3. Steering wheel... beautifully designed and fits into my hands.
4. Although its only a C300 and not an AMG.. but still has a very nice throaty exhaust note.
5. The Key fob... very unique... although they should have crafted the 3 star on the other side of the key instead of in the middle of all the buttons.
6. MB apps do not work in Canada... so why does it show up? Or am I missing something? I tried using my iphone Bluetooth hook up.. fail.
7. Trunk has a first aid kit... LEARN BMW ... LEARN !
8. Has rear fog lights... LEARN BMW ... LEARN !
9. When I pull the handle from the inside to open the door... that sound is powerful and very addictive.
10. Handling is (in my opinion) somewhat more refined and mature vs BMW. Hard to explain this... but those RFT on the bimmers undermine the true pleasures of driving a BMW. Again, my opinion.
11. The overall fit and finish is superior than the BMW.
Keep in mind that this is my week 2 and I only drove twice so far... totalling 21 km as I have a company vehicle. Will share more as I drive it on the hwy.
Thanks for reading.
Enjoy the best, or nothing!