post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Oct 2013
Vehicle: 2014 GLK 250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Ran 75% gas thru my 2014 diesel for 200 miles

Like the title says, I got a new 2014 bluetec GLK 250 and ran 75% or more gasoline through it for about 200 miles. Will that cause any permanent damage? If someone goes through the vehicle and drains the tank and replaces damaged parts, would I be expected to have additional problems in the future??? If possible, include your level of experience or expertise in your reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 09:41 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
The first time I heard diesel would run on such big percentage of gas.
Adding couple % of gas to diesel is old remedy for cold winters when diesel might gel.
If the engine run for 200 miles, that means you did not have any catastrophic failure?
Drain the tank, fill up with diesel and keep your fingers crossed.
Doesn't look like you have other choices than wait and see.
Good luck
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Oct 2013
Vehicle: 2014 GLK 250
(Thread Starter)
I do have choices. The part I left out was that it was the dealer who filled my bluetec from 1/4 tank to full with gas. It had 10 miles on it. I am trying to decide what I need from them to make it right.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 09:48 AM
w108,107 Parts Hoarder

Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 4Keep:450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG 2sell:500sl92 380se83 300se86 350sl4sp 75slc MorInSig
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1622 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
I was trying to find something for you. This post #9 seems to be the best I've read so far on an actual description of what can happen.

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/d...04&postcount=9

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

My signature:
Click for list of my 32 MB since 2010. If, you want 70's-80's Mercedes tuner wheels, let me know.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 09:50 AM
w108,107 Parts Hoarder

Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 4Keep:450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG 2sell:500sl92 380se83 300se86 350sl4sp 75slc MorInSig
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1622 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 280Z View Post
I do have choices. The part I left out was that it was the dealer who filled my bluetec from 1/4 tank to full with gas. It had 10 miles on it. I am trying to decide what I need from them to make it right.
Oh wow. Tough call. New injection pump? A letter from a lawyer stating that if anything goes wrong in the next X months that the dealer will cover the repairs. Free warranty on the engine and fuel system?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

My signature:
Click for list of my 32 MB since 2010. If, you want 70's-80's Mercedes tuner wheels, let me know.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 10:04 AM

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 90 300E, 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 922 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
It already has caused damage at such a high concentration.

In 2007 or newer clean diesel engines, any amount of gasoline will do damage to the sensitive emissions control components and system. In older engines with much less sophisticated and touchy emission systems, a lightly diluted (say 90% diesel & 10% gasoline) mix would probably pass through with little or no detriment. It may simply cause reduced engine power, perhaps a bit more noise, and possibly a warning from the emission sensors. that detect something other than pure diesel exhaust. It is a high concentration of gasoline that spells real trouble. Burning straight gasoline or a highly diluted gas/diesel mix will almost certainly result in catastrophic damage to the engine. Diesels can burn a lot of things but gasoline certainly result in catastrophic damage to the engine. Diesels can burn a lot of things but gasoline.

You have to get the dealer management and MBUSA involved. The last time a dealer did this to a BlueTec they bought the car back and replaced it.

This is now the dealer's problem. The only thing that would make it right would be to put a complete warranty on the engine, emission systems and fuel delivery systems (including the turbo) for 10 years and 150k miles that can be used at any MB dealer in the country.

If it were my car and a dealer did that to it I would settle for nothing less than a replacement of the vehicle or my money back. Not knowing when the damaged parts may fail and leave you stranded or in danger of an accident is just not worth trying to figure out a way of keeping that vehicle.

If they want to replace the engine and all fuel related parts then keeping it is worth considering.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 06:41 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2009
Send a message via AIM to Benznoob26
Quote:
I'm surprised it still ran fine...but I would freak out on them, and demand it be gone through....And if it had fuel problems later I would press that...Whoever filled it with gas is a dumb ### considering the nozzles/receivers are designed different to keep diesel owners from filling their cars with gas, and vice versa. good luck
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 09:25 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2010
Vehicle: 2012 S350 BlueTEC, 2005 S430, 1999 E300,
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
The BlueTEC engine has no injection pump, its electronic injection. Gasoline is not going to damage the fuel tank, transfer pump, lines and filters. What gasoline WILL DO is damage the the unit fuel injectors from lack of lubricant inherent in diesel fuel that's not in gasoline. In other words, dry out the inside parts of the injectors causing them to stick. The sensors in the BlueTEC's complex exhaust system could possibly suffer damage but that would trigger a trouble code and a Check Engine Light. Time will tell. If it were me, I'd demand a replacement vehicle or a full refund. Its your call.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 11:44 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Quote:
WOW. Talking about withholding MAJOR information from the starting post
As others say, I would go for vehicle or engine replacement.
Chances are the engine might survive it since it did survive 200 miles, but not likely the dealer will offer you 200,000 miles warranty or $ 10,000 discount.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 08:36 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2013
Vehicle: SLK 350 2013
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to fcch
Unhappy

Wow! ... the dealer did it

Most of us buy diesel engines for the longevity of the beasts.
After running some gas through the system, you can bet the engine garantee will NEVER be honored.

Add to that the tmie etc to have the engine (eventually) rebuilt, ... IMHO, you should push MBUSA for a complete replacement.

I've done multiple engine replacements and there is often "collateral damage" to parts etc.

my 2¢
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in