post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 2007 S550 4Matic
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Michelin Tires that Self-Destruct

On Sunday, July 22 while changing the oil in my 2007 S550 4Matic I noticed that both front tires – Michelin Pilot Sport AS Plus with about 9,000 miles on them - were literally coming apart in large pieces. On Monday July 23rd I took the car to the place I bought the tires and was told that this is not uncommon to these tires and Michelin calls it “chunking”. I was not charged for the tires but was out of pocket for mounting, balancing and road hazard on the new tires. I was glad that I discovered this because my family and I were driving the car to Montana the next week.

The guy I talked to today at Michelin was very familiar with “chunking” and said is just part of what one has to pay for a smooth ride since the tire is made of three different rubber compounds that sometimes come apart. I told him that if the tires had self-destructed at 70 mph, and my family had lived through it that for sure he and I would not be talking but our attorneys would be.

I wonder just how often this type of tire self-destructs and I do not believe that one must engineer a safety defect as part of making the tire ride well. I also wonder what, if any other tires Michelin makes are prone to “chunking.”

Has anyone else experienced “chunking” with Michelin tires?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 04:35 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2011
Vehicle: 1973 220D
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I used to use michelin tires back in the 70's through 90's. I never had that happen. I have had some that formed bubble along the sidewall although they were mostly worn out by then anyway.

If it had failed at 70 you might have only had to pull over and change the tire. These dramatic cases of cars loosing control and flipping over are typically top heavy SUV type vehicles.

Still a tire ought to hold together for its rated life.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 07:56 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
Not Michelin, but Firestone was famous a decade ago for costing some deaths when bigger size tires used on SUV and pickups would have a "gator" separating from the wheel.
That happen to me when I bought 2000 pickup couple years ago and put original spare on it. 200 miles later whole tread come of in one piece and even flatbed pickup has strong pieces, it took mudflap with bracket and badly bend 3" exhaust pipe.
Amazingly I was able to drive on wires to next exit and the tire still had pressure.
Even the best manufacturer has ops from time to time.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013, 10:16 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2013
Vehicle: 2003 CLK320 (A208) in Triple Black
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tire "chunking" is a known problem that occurs in many brands of tires and vehicles. Causes (and cures) are not agreed upon.

[Back when OEM Firestones were being replaced by Ford on their SUVs, I waited for several months until a set of five Michelins for my Expedition were available.] Neither brand caused me any problems, the Firestones lasting 38K miles and the first set of Michelins about 58K. The truck was sold at 108K with the second set of Michelins on it.

Never had a problem with a Michelin tire, but do make sure they are installed at and maintained by a competent tire dealer, properly balanced, vehicle properly aligned (4-wheel if needed), rotated and inspected regularly, and carry the correct pressure for conditions (which also means adjusting the pressure if needed).

Currently run Michelins on my wifes's Camry (2nd set), the Tundra that hauls our 8K pound trailer (OEM set/approx.14K pound GCVW), and the CLK (third set). None of these sets are Pilots, passenger vehicles are MXV4s.

Just my experience, which won't/can't be everyones.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 06:46 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle: 2003 Brilliant Silver C320 Sedan
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am on my second set of Michelins on my Benz and have had no problems, as well as they perform very well.

Dom
'03 C320 Sedan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in