Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Threw chrome key at brick wall

891 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Noodles 
#1 ·
Not proud of this but during an argument with my significant other I whipped the fob in her general direction hitting a brick wall. The whole thing came apart, put it back together and the unlock button worked once then stopped. Lock button won't work, trunk button works, and (thank God) the car starts. I took it all apart and everything looks intact. Wondering if a new shell would set it right. We patched things up personally BTW;)

#4 · (Edited)
The ignition chip is separate from door remote, so at least you did not damage this one.
Repairing broken electronic board is doable, but not easy and reliability will suck.
I would order new key and use that one as spare. Still can open the door with blade.
You should have several dealers in your area, so finding one who will not mark up a key above $180 should be possible.
How much patching the other break did cost you? >>>> diamonds rings are way more expensive than keys.

#5 ·
Sadly there are not a lot of choices for people in Charleston. There is Baker Motors in North Charleston and that is it.
I got my E500 there. There is a dealer in Hilton Head, Savannah and Florence all of which are at least an hour away so factoring time and fuel if Baker will do a key for $250-275 it may make sense.
If the OP has to drive to or by any of these other places with any frequency then it would be worth calling around to get a price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.