post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Mar 2013
Vehicle: 2009 C220cdi sport estate with no options
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Touring: North Ayrshire

The weekend weather was excellent so on Saturday I decided after doing some errands etc I'd nip out for a mini tour.

The idea was to head to the North Ayrshire coast and shoot a sunset at Portencross, near West Kilbride.

Firstly I stopped at the Perch in Port Glasgow, admired my C class estate and the views of the Clyde

_DSC0791 by, on Flickr

You English people might say that this isn't good weather, but if there is blue in the Sky, then it is

_DSC0790 by, on Flickr

From here you follow the road round through Greenock and Gourock and take the A78 down to Inverkip. Inverkip has a very interesting Marina and restaurants and would make a good way day out. I've never been. I am glad I have.

Some of the boat names are really good. I wonder if we should give names like this to cars

_DSC0806 (1) by, on Flickr

_DSC0800 (1) by, on Flickr

A bit later on, you can see the weather really improving and the waters getting nice and still

_DSC0820 by, on Flickr

And also the sun gets lower, and that was the direction I was headed in.

_DSC0823 by, on Flickr

The A78 runs along the coast to Largs and from Kip to Largs is a really nice drive, nice tight bends, and the sport chassis of the 204 means this can be really savoured and enjoyed. 3rd gear being the best tool for the job and all in all you can also relish the views to Cumbrae, Arran and Millport.

Eventually I got to Portencross to be greeted by Buckfast swilling oiks.

_DSC0834 by, on Flickr

Luckily they cleared off in time for sunset.

_DSC0843 by, on Flickr

Portencross is a really nice spot, and the smell of the sea air, and relative quite away from it all is very restfull once people began to clear off. I could easily take a tent here and spend the night just off the shore. Theres something very restful about the sea and the salty smell. Albiet, its not the best for a Mercedes

_DSC0861 by, on Flickr

One thing I did wrong on this tour, I stopped at Wymess Bay which is ok but drove past Nardinis Icecream parlour in Largs. Next time, I will pop into Nardinis, the icecream is ace.

Here is Wymess bay station at night

_DSC0867 by, on Flickr

And inside it too

_DSC0873 by, on Flickr

All in all a good drive. I averaged 46mpg which is pretty good going and above the book figure but didn't drive the car hard.

The best bit, there is a tour done the next day and another thread to follow...

Current Merc: 2009 C220cdi sport estate
Prev Merc: 2005 E320cdi sport
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: