2014 GL350 Check Engine Light Came On - Page 7 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 10:22 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2009
Vehicle: 1984 190E 2.3 engine Automatic, 2002 C240 2.6 Automatic
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Again, I'm glad you got a refund. Sorry you had all your problems with the car.

I almost guarantee that MB is not happy having to do a refund, and that something will be DONE to fix this problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 04:07 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jan 2014
Vehicle: 2014 GL350
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've got a 14 with 8,000 miles on. CEL came on yesterday and it's running rough. Let the saga begin...
post #63 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 01:25 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Unhappy Brand new 2014 GL350 CEL came on

Quote:
Originally Posted by giggspy View Post
Quick update. Dealer today agreed to buy back the car, they will issue full refund to me in the next 2 to 3 days. They said Toronto head quarters gave them the green light for the refund. And they were quoting my facebook complaint and appologizing to me. I guess this is one of the biggest benefit of social media, it gets people's attention quickly in these kind of situations.

Again, as consumers, we need to stand up for ourselves if we want to protect our own interest. Thank you all for all the supports and replies. I guess my mb ownership was unpleasent and short lived, but hope all of yours will be a pleasent one.
Picked up my brand new 2014 GL350 last Friday Jan 24th. I waited 9 months for it, (its the nicest car I've ever bought, had a lot of "hand-wringing" over the cost of it but went ahead anyway). The very NEXT DAY the CEL came on. I immediately googled it and found this thread. I'm terrified now. Dealer has said the code was indicating trouble with the "DPS sensor" but further diagnostics showed nothing wrong there so now they're just replacing the sensor as they feel its only the sensor that is faulty. I literally drove it less than 24hrs and its been in the shop ever since as I wait for the sensor replacement. I'm praying my CEL doesn't continue to come on as giggspy experienced. I've already called the dealer to say if one more thing goes wrong I want my money back. Of course they haven't returned my call regarding this. Outrageous to me that a car of this "calibre" should have issues like this and as consumers we're supposed to accept it? I drove cars 1/2 this price for years and never had a problem. I'm feeling major regrets now...
post #64 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 01:35 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

CEL light

My issue with the CEL light turned out to be a sensor. A mouse had gotten on top of the engine in the garage, built a nest and chewed a wire. $25 part, 770 labor. Gotta love the dealer.

I'm closing in on 9K on the 2014 and have been very impressed with function particular driving in snow and ice.

Top two complaints are the somewhat clunky control system for the audio, etc. and the less than powerful reverse lights which render the camera ineffective at night. I've got 5 kids riding in it - moved from an Odyssey, and while we loved the functioning of the Honda, this vehicle seats passengers much better, yes even 5. Trips are more pleasurable for all. OH...and the headrests. Removed the one on the 1/3 side of the second row seat. Trained the 9 year old girl to operate and put the seat back in position every time she gets in and out.
post #65 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 01:59 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

CEL light on

Thank you CaptFett, this makes me marginally hopeful that my issue will be quickly resolved too. I truly WANT to be excited about this truck but it was a major let-down to have trouble so soon. Will keep everyone updated as to my progress with this truck!!
post #66 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 08:59 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Feb 2014
Vehicle: 2014 E350
I am having a similar issue with my 2014 E350

Hey Giggspy...to be honesy, you are getting really crappy serivce. I am such a Benz afficionado that ive owned 4 Benz in the past 2 years alone. 2010 Gl450, 2010 E350, 211 E350 and now a 2014 E350...and guess what? the problems will exist on a new generation of vehicles.

When i traded out of my GL for the brand new 2010 E350, the vehicle's computer went nuts. It decided to keep the interior of the cabin at a certain temperature all the time, draining the battery...whcih then the car left me stranded 150 miles away from my home and 80 miles away from the nearest dealer. When the system drained the battery, it affaected other components such as the air bags and door locking mechanisn via the key fob. The very next day (after getting a jump started by a good samaritan) I went to Mercedes Benz of SOuth Orlando (i used to live in Fla) and they kept my car for a few days. WHile they were looking at the codes and seeing what was going on with the on board computer, my fears that the problem would happen again increased (bad idea). The day that they delivered my car to me, i told the service rep to hand those keys to the sales guy because i was trading in for a 2011 E350 because I didnt want any more issues that come with new car generations. That said,i NEVER had a single issue with my 2011....that one i did keep the longest (1 yr and a half) before getting the 2014.

Now, the reason for all this blabber is simple: I am experiencing THE SAME issue that you're having with your GL on my E350......and its a computer glitch malfunctioning due to the cold temperatures, its more of a code than the actual hardware per se. Why cold weather? well, i no longer live in Florida you see, I live in your side of the woods...Anchorage, Alaska.

My car is currently in the shop as I type this. Do NOT get bent out of shape...it really isnt a big deal, and guess what? you and i are covered by the same warranty, so dont stress. Unlike you, however, i actually knew something like this was going to happen because it happened with the 2010 (new body style again, coincidence? I dont think so) I will recommend you to go to another dealer though! I am in Alaska and these guys dont know what is going on, however they are in constant communication with MBUSA and MB headquarters in Stuttgart, Germany receiving all the right codes. I am saddened to see your disapproval for the "quality" of MB, but you need to keep in mind that our vehicles have waaaaaay more sophisticated computers that, say, Lexus or TOyota or Infiniti or, i dont know..the Japanese counterpart. So that being said, you do not buy a benz if you do not know the infrastructure behind the vehicle (trust me...i made that mistake already with the 2010)

***UPDATE***

As i was typing above, MB called and said that the computer went a little glitchy and did not know what kind of fuel, oil and air mixture to put into the engine...let alone how to run the AC. That the car apparently went into "safe mode" or whatever but everything is ok... this was due to the fact of sudden change in temperatures. They have documented this case and will proceed to communicate with MB to see if a recall can be issued.
post #67 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 09:11 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Vehicle: 2014 E350
Elbee, do not freak out. This happens very frequently with new generations of Benz. The gl will mess up...it really will and i even want to go as far as betting money on it! but this will not happen again with the 2015 model.....this is just the rules of the game when it comes to Benz (i am having the same exact issue with my 2014E) and i had the same issue with my 2010E when that model first came out.....and i made a mistake by trading out of it, it was a huge financial loss simply because i had a fear that it was going to break down again....bad idea. Please continue riding this problem out until it is solved.

if you read my prevous comment, the problem was "fixed"...i still havent been to the dealer to pick it up....ill let you know if what the guys at the dealer said was correct or not.
post #68 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 09:29 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Vehicle: 2014 GL 350 Blutec
My CEL came on yesterday on a new 2014 GL 350 diesel with 4K miles on it. It has been the coldest winter here in 10 years we have been here. No performance problems yet. Call into dealership made, but nobody has returned the call yet. More to follow.
post #69 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 03:25 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Mar 2015
Brand new 2014 GLK 350 here, and the car has been in four times before Service A oil change for the check engine light. The local dealer changed the O2 sensor as it felt to be running a bit rougher than normal. Within a week, the light was on again. We don't live in the mountains, but do have some small hills. Wondering if it is worth it to get the extended warrant to get this covered as I drive a lot of miles in a year...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in