Long-distance W210 purchase: need PPI shop in San Mateo - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 04:11 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
I've been fan of compression test for years, but it was easy on older inline engines.
On modern V engines that turns to humongous job, while those engines seldom fail mechanically.
Since I do my own inspections I check blowby and acceleration instead.
But good luck asking shop for doing those
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2013
Vehicle: 2001 E320 4matic wagon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I thought I'd provide an update the update on my inspection.

In a nutshell, I'm not impressed with Eurotech. This isn't my first inspection. I don't think my expectations are too high. For $200, I received a printout of the codes from SDS and a scribbled, illegible, lacking-in-detail/ explanation work list. I'll post actual codes (there were a bunch of them ) and questions about the vague work order items for feedback/interpretation in the W210 section later this evening.

Essentially, the "report" was not at all what I asked for or was lead to believe I would get. There was no response to the detailed questions I sent in email before the inspection (SA said he'd pass email on to tech doing inspection). No comment about the owners' service records (completeness, recent work, etc) that Eurotech asked me to have him bring.

Part of the reason I chose them was because they have a body shop. But there was no detail on report about condition of paint or body, aside from noting (but not providing any estimate for) the dent that I had actually specifically asked them to check out/estimate.

I followed up with Service Adviser, thinking maybe he'd give me the full scoop. Instead he seemed caught off guard by my questions and obviously hadn't gone over the report in advance (or talked to tech). He kind of bumbled along with what he thought a few of the codes & scribbled notes meant, but he didn't really provide much info and seemed in a hurry to get me off the phone.

He said he'd follow up and get more detail (car was dropped off at 8:15. Inspection was in process at 10am. This call was at 4pm) but at the time of this writing (6:30pm) I'm guessing he isn't planning to call me back today. I understand that shops get busy, but shouldn't he have looked at report before talking to me in the first place? And while this specific purchase isn't extremely time-sensitive, I'm sure it is for some. Missing out on a sale because the inspecting shop didn't call the customer back with report details would be very frustrating.

Who knows, maybe these guys are great in person. Maybe they just aren't phone/email people (one thing's for sure -- they need a new phone/receiver cord. The constant scratchy/static noise sure didn't help things).

So.... I'll follow up tomorrow when/if they get back to me. There's still a chance to salvage this if they actually took notes and read the records (car and records are back home w/ owner), though I'm not hopeful.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 08:35 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
You did not take my offer of PPI list, did you?
I made it because even I am not paying for PPI doing them myself, I got a potential buyer who paid for PPI on 1987 300DT I was selling few months ago. The local, highly recommended shop was honest upfront that what they do is "roadworthy inspection" so they pulled the wheels to check the pads, but did not check if all windows operate or AC cools.
Unfortunately good PPI is not common
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
You did not take my offer of PPI list, did you?
Not exactly, but I did go over the list items with the Service Adviser on the phone and then sent a follow up email with each of those main areas/items covered the Friday before the inspection. So it wasn't your exact list, but it was a pretty collection of things to check.

I followed up again with the SA again the morning of the inspection and he said he'd give a printout of the mail to the tech. It's possible my list missed a couple of things compared to the certified pre-owned inspection but nonetheless it contained a LOT more than they did (or maybe they did, they just didn't tell me the results).
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Codes/report are posted over in the W210 section if anyone is interested...
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Update: I got more info from shop this evening on the phone and feel the situation is mostly resolved.

I think the real problem with this transaction is that they don't have a set procedure or checklist for a PPI. And though I sent something for them to use and detailed questions, that information apparently didn't make it to the tech -- or at least he didn't have the expectation to fill it out. Combined with his nearly illegible work list and the codes that were sent back to me with little explanation, I was unhappy with the inspection

Now that I've spoken to them a 3rd time (and I think you'll agree this is a problem. It should not have take two times checking back with the tech to get the info I requested in writing from the very beginning) I feel better about *what* was done for the inspection and now have a better handle on what the car needs and how to proceed.

I won't advise members to avoid them in the future based on this one inspection, but I will say that if you plan on having work or a PPI done by them, make sure you are clear up front with your expectations (which I thought I was). And make sure are on the same page about what they'll deliver in exchange for your money. It's the latter part that came up a little short - at least initially.

Last edited by hereusethis; 10-08-2013 at 06:17 PM. Reason: edited typos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in