Touring: North west Scotland and Skye with Porsches featured - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Mar 2013
Vehicle: 2009 C220cdi sport estate with no options
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Touring: North west Scotland and Skye with Porsches featured

Well, I did promise one more of these. And it was not without company, as by sheer co-incidence I bumped into a coupe of car enthusiasts I know and we toured the north west.

Indeed the tour started by sheer chance here at the old military road that runs through Glen Fruin...

_DSC0556 by, on Flickr

From here the tour ran up over the rest and bethankful and I assisted someone photograph their Porsche....

_DSC0583 by, on Flickr

Whilst its not silver, its ok in white, but I would order in silver as I feel all cars should be silver, they look better.

Later on the tour continued and the Mercedes driver said he was meeting a mate with a Porsche in Fort William. I camped near here and I said as I was free I'd join them for a tour the next day. You know me, gatecrasher of social events..:lol::lol::lol::lol:

_DSC0616 by, on Flickr

Isn't Kilchurn castle wonderful....I like it here and come here before work just to be amongst the scenery and enjoy the views. But a night in a tent is cold in mid September plus the walk down here claims the 1st of many pairs of socks for the trip

The A85 then A82 is a route I take a lot, its got well sighted sweeping turns and my C class is at home on it, but conditions like this are not favourable...

_DSC0621 by, on Flickr

On Rannoch Moor the fog began to lift

_DSC0643 by, on Flickr

And then the sun came out.

_DSC0675 by, on Flickr

But it didnt matter much, I tend not to carry many spare socks with me, but I have a few, and changed into fresh socks after getting soaked on Rannoch Moor Bog. Sadly, the C class estates ventilation isn't upto Clothes drying, but it can keep the cabin at an even 20c and chill drinks in the glove box, but someone at Mercedes really needs to pull their socks up and develop a climate system capable of drying boots, socks and jackets whilst keeping the cabin at 20c.

Further up, the said skip needed a rest and I needed to snap Stob Dearg as I do this and I like a black and white as colour can be too strong for me

_DSC0694 (1) by, on Flickr

From here I met up with the Mercedes man and the Porsche man and we aimed for Skye....along the way there is the famous Glen Garry view point and I suspect I'd return here with more Autumnal weather and enjoy the colours reflected in the still morning waters in Loch Garry.

_DSC0701 by, on Flickr

Further down the A87 there are Laybys with easier access to the Loch. It is my firm intention to return back, camp for a few days and get some nice Autumn pictures up here. I know I focus my tours in the Glencoe area, but I must extend my horizons and maybe tour 50 miles further north.

Anyway, the Porsche turbo is a particularly curious car as it makes AMGs look slow. In your rear view mirrors the shape of the car just looks so right, and yes I like Porsches but I see a Porsche shaped hole in my life

_DSC0745 by, on Flickr

Perhaps as the roof goes down on this, I could maybe have 20c heat in the cabin and my socks drying in the wind in the back. Wet socks are a nightmare...

The view at Loch Ainort is really nice

_DSC0728 by, on Flickr

But it could claim yet another pair of socks, you have been warned!!!!!

As the other tourer will tell you

_DSC0731 by, on Flickr

Shoes on top of the deck, and thats an E class that cannot dry a pair of shoes and socks, these Mercedes engineers really need to sort this out like...

Further on, and this is where you should go on Skye is the Trottenish ridge North and East of Portree and you see the Old man of Storr and the Quairing

_DSC0754 by, on Flickr

The Island gets progressive bleaker as you head to the NW, Neist Point

_DSC0767 by, on Flickr

I imagine when I am back here, I may shoot a sunset here. Perhaps do a sunrise in Loch Garry and aim for Skye for sunset, its only 80miles, could probably do it on a push bike if push came to shove :shock:

Finally the next day, well, more socks and shoes could be claimed and the Merc C class hasn't even got a residual heater to try and dry them over the night, so onto my last pair and very worried, but I present you Sligachan

_DSC0780 by, on Flickr

And some economy, but I'd pack more socks next time

_DSC0781 by, on Flickr

Current Merc: 2009 C220cdi sport estate
Prev Merc: 2005 E320cdi sport
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 07:02 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 1988 560SL 71000mi, 2015 S550 4Matic
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Pics are great as usual but I really like the B&W. Black and white seems to show the details better and seems more "crisp" to me.
Michael in Arizona

1988 Signal Red 560SL
2015 S550 4Matic Ruby Black/Beige
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 01:01 PM
Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 90 300E, 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I really like the long exposure B&W shot with the stream over the rocks.

They are all good, but that one really has a great feel to it.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: