post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2013
Vehicle: 1997 E420
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
ecm outlet scam//ecu technologies

Has anyone else fallen for the cheap ecu scam from ecm outlet? I was ripped off for a nice little chunk of cash by this guy. After doing some research it turns out this is a common scam by a guy out of the Detroit Michigan area. He sells cheap ECU's for all kinds of cars and claims them to be recoded for your vin#. Long story short, he's a major scam artist.
Anyway, I have some business to attend to next week in Detroit, and plan on getting a full refund the bold fashioned way. If anybody has any complaints that they would like me to pass along in person,please let me know...
alberta likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 08:19 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jan 2014
Vehicle: 1999 E320 4matic
Angry ECU Technologies

I have been ripped-off by this character. The unit they sent me did not work. They got me to sign a waiver after they received my smart key and the old unit. Their unit did not work. I returned the unit with their permission. Now they would not refund my money. These are crooks!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 08:25 AM
Will Moderate For Cigars

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Well, the bold old fashioned way is breaking kneecaps. Not sure how that will turn out for you. But, I'd have a chargeback with a complaint filed with your credit card company. I've won every one because I had my shirt together. DC#'s, tracking info, etc. There's no shortage of douchebags who are out to take your dough.

2005 S430 4Matic 'Morton' W220.183 • 722.671 Rest in Peace

Bells and whistles are thorns and thistles.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 07:53 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
The original post is dated 09-13-2013. I wondered how this turned out?

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 10:09 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2008
Vehicle: 2003 C230 Komp
Whoa!!!! Glad I found this, I sent him my ECU last week, haven't paid anything. Plz PM me details of your incidents. I have proof of delivery of my ECU and records of our email. I haven't been able to reach them by telephone yesterday. Anyone got more information about this company. Want to make sure before I proceed.

ECU Technologies (http://www.mercedesecm.com/)

Amazon Store Front (http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html...A17GV1G7T2XVUP)

Google Street View (https://www.google.com/maps/preview/...cCARx-1FOg!2e0)

Update: Just got off the phone with x, seemed very knowledgeable on my ECU, how its put together and very honest about the direction I can go with it. He said he couldn't promise that an off the shelf ECU from them would be plug and play. My ECU is sealed shut and he said connecting to the mother board would require them to open it, the plastic wiring harness connections wouldn't be the same after they open the ECU housing. While it would still be functional it would have to be sealed with a bonding agent. He said he would be able to verify that my ECU housing has oil in it. He gave me three options;

1. They open the ECU, check for oil contamination, plug into the motherboard and attempt to flash an off the shelf ECU to match the security codes and software. No guarantee that the new ECU will automatically work when installed. ($625 ECU, $90 Flash)

2. They send a "virgin" off the shelf ECU to me that is ready for STAR diagnostics and programming for a local shop or dealer to flash for my particular VIN# and key ($625). He recommended calling a few shop for quotes and details.

3. He can send me my ECU back as is so that I can bring it to a shop or dealer with STAR diagnostics to confirm for sure, that the ECU is oil fouled.

Personally, the conversation with him was great, I do believe him and his options. I have received a text from PortlandNick who was been scammed/cheated by ECU Technologies in Michigan. I appreciate the info and I am going to weigh my options and risks this weekend. I will be making sure that I have all the documentation needed in case I need to make a formal complaint if I proceed with ECU Technologies and cover my ass in case of lost money due to a transaction with their company.

Thank you everyone, please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions, recommendations, or warnings. I'll provide another update this weekend before I make a decision on Monday.

- John

Last edited by Hookah_John; 01-31-2014 at 02:06 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 12:53 PM

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1014 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
The best snake oil sales men always have a great pitch.

Get your ECU back if will he send it. I know he said he would, but saying it and doing it are two different things.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 12:56 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Informed

I agree Noodles, when warranted.

I have sent two emails to local shops on prices and called the original shop that confirmed oil fouling. I am going to try and deal with it locally here in Portland, OR first. Could be worth the extra money to have a brick and mortar shop to handle my issues in person to confirm that my ECU is corrupted.

Thanks

- John

Last edited by Hookah_John; 01-31-2014 at 02:08 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 02:47 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

ECU

Got my ECU back from ECU Technologies. Installing it back into my car this evening. Then driving my car to a local shop to have them use STAR diagnostics to see if they can root out my problems. I'll update more later this week.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 06:49 PM

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1014 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Well the good news is you got it back from them. I am sure the local shop will take more time to figure out your issue than a dealer that would just say you need a new ECU.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 04:50 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Done and Done

Update:

Got my ECU back as stated above. He did do me a great service as he made me question one of the local shops as to whether they hooked up STAR diagnostics to my ECU to confirm it oil fouled. Which it wasn't and works perfectly fine.

I brought my car to Adrian at Pereda MotorWorks here in Portland, OR. He got a chance to look at it briefly before going on vaca for 2.5 weeks. He saved a full copy of my ECU software/data and gave me a laundry list to do while he was gone. Replaced the alternator (Valeo 120amp -> Bosch 150amp), serpentine belt, re-installed the original throttle pedal assembly, and a few other odds and ends.

When Adrian got back, he flashed the ECU, cleaned the recirculating air flap for the supercharger (almost identical to the throttle body), installed 2 new O2 sensors that were fouled with me driving in emergency mode (fuel rich), and took care of the SRS light I had on for $1040. $500 of that being for the O2 sensors (Found the same ones on Amazon for $250). That being said, my car is back up and running.

I still have the occasional misfire, but at this point I've dealt with that since the beginning. Adrian swapped the coil packs, but Cyl 2&3 misfires appear to be always an issue if I let the car idle for too long.

All in all, I have spent around $2500 getting my car back up and running, with probably 60+ hours in and out of my friends garage over the last 4 months learning the fun and hard way about my 03 C230.

- John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in