Option codes dont match - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 02:26 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Kajtek1's Avatar
 
Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Location: CA Bay Area
Posts: 31,792
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Native names is what create the problems.
Typical sample are car headlights.
In US they are high and low beams,
It is German I remember that has City and Highway beams
in Polish they are short and long beams.
You say "long beams" at US dealer and all you get are strange looks
Kajtek1 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 02:52 AM
BenzWorld Member
 
Date registered: Jul 2013
Vehicle: Chevy
Location: Ukraine
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to elia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
Native names is what create the problems.
Typical sample are car headlights.
In US they are high and low beams,
It is German I remember that has City and Highway beams
in Polish they are short and long beams.
You say "long beams" at US dealer and all you get are strange looks
"long beam" and "near (short) beam" - it's russian equivalents for all english high and low beams respectively
City beam = low beam & Highway beam = High beam. It's easy to understand.
As for me (automotive engineer) most of EPC's options names in english are classically correct. And russian too.

Mercedes-Benz vin decoding in English/Français/Русский/Deutsch/Español/Português languages - http://carinfo.kiev.ua/cars/vin/mercedes
Материалы по VIN на русском - http://carinfo.kiev.ua
elia is offline  
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 03:08 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Diesel Benz's Avatar
 
Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Location: Europe
Posts: 10,323
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elia View Post
As for me (automotive engineer) most of EPC's options names in english are classically correct.
I understood your site provides the exact same code translation to text as the official EPC. If the language is not good, we have to blame "MB".

EPC indeed sometimes has funny words, you may find German words when the language setting is English (everything is document in German language and translated to English, not necessarily by native English speaking people). Then there is the issue with US English, UK English etc. which Kajtek1 already mentioned.

There are pretty simple spelling errors too, sometimes "COMAND" has been written as "COMMAND", no wonder members at the forum have difficulties with that.

But as elia says, with a bit of common sense everything should be clear at least for someone in the business but also for ordinary car owners.
Diesel Benz is offline  
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 03:53 AM
BenzWorld Member
 
Date registered: Jul 2013
Vehicle: Chevy
Location: Ukraine
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to elia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz View Post
I understood your site provides the exact same code translation to text as the official EPC. If the language is not good, we have to blame "MB".
There is no perfection in this world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz View Post
EPC indeed sometimes has funny words, you may find German words when the language setting is English (everything is document in German language and translated to English, not necessarily by native English speaking people). Then there is the issue with US English, UK English etc. which Kajtek1 already mentioned.

There are pretty simple spelling errors too, sometimes "COMAND" has been written as "COMMAND", no wonder members at the forum have difficulties with that.
Daimler's WIS/ASRA contains information letters for passenger vehicles in german/english, and for commercial vehicles in german & rarely in english. And no russian! So our dealers must to know german or use different translators.
Oftenly russian option's names are terrible abbreviations because our language is more "longer" and creators have limits of field's length in program.

Mercedes-Benz vin decoding in English/Français/Русский/Deutsch/Español/Português languages - http://carinfo.kiev.ua/cars/vin/mercedes
Материалы по VIN на русском - http://carinfo.kiev.ua
elia is offline  
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
nola000's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2013
Vehicle: 2010 Mercedes-Benz C300
Location: The Northernmost Capital of the Caribbean
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Some great conversation here...

Thanks for the link Diesel Benz!!!
nola000 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











  • Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
     
    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page
    Display Modes
    Linear Mode Linear Mode



    Posting Rules  
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are On
    Pingbacks are On
    Refbacks are On

     

    Title goes here

    close
    video goes here
    description goes here. Read Full Story
    For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome