1999 C280 engine fan clutch bad/diagnosis? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2013, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Date registered: Jul 2013
Vehicle: Mercedes Benz C280
Location: gaithersburg MD
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1999 C280 engine fan clutch bad/diagnosis?

Hi , al d here/ Maryland. When my electric fan kicks in at around 95 degrees or so, I can stop it with my finger. The temp, of course, will rise to a biy under 100 when the orange coolant light lights up. This of course is all at idle after a good run. Bad clutch? Thermostat and temp sensor. Next to it brand new. Thoughts? Bad clutch/ why even have a clutch? Diagnosis? All fuses Ok; but relays, I dunno. Thanks dudes,
Afdefelice is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 02:38 AM
Outstanding Contributor
 
eric242340's Avatar
 
Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
Location: The wild west of the Far East
Posts: 52,163
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Yup bad thermal clutch. The fan speed should increase as the engine warms up and the temp increase tightens the clutch, it should take your finger off so do not keep testing it this way, we usually use a rolled up newspaper, a good fan clutch will shred the paper.

ERIC.

___________________________________________
"I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a friend, if you have one."
- George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.
eric242340 is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Date registered: Jul 2013
Vehicle: Mercedes Benz C280
Location: gaithersburg MD
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks plenty. Easier to just replace whole fan/ motor /clutch module rather than just the clutch? What would you do. I understand the latter is a pain. Thanks again, and plenty. Special coolant for this special German iron? Then, I am onto sp plugs: you recommend the Bosch 4 ground electrodes?... love to keep this iron rolling as well as it can
Again, much appreciated.
Afdefelice is offline  
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 06:55 AM
Outstanding Contributor
 
eric242340's Avatar
 
Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
Location: The wild west of the Far East
Posts: 52,163
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afdefelice View Post
Thanks plenty. Easier to just replace whole fan/ motor /clutch module rather than just the clutch? What would you do. I understand the latter is a pain. Thanks again, and plenty. Special coolant for this special German iron? Then, I am onto sp plugs: you recommend the Bosch 4 ground electrodes?... love to keep this iron rolling as well as it can
Again, much appreciated.
Now you have confused me, there is no motor on a fan clutch. And for plugs use standard benz rec plugs, the four pin is too high a heat range and will cause problems later on.

ERIC.

___________________________________________
"I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a friend, if you have one."
- George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.
eric242340 is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Date registered: Jul 2013
Vehicle: Mercedes Benz C280
Location: gaithersburg MD
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric242340 View Post
Now you have confused me, there is no motor on a fan clutch. And for plugs use standard benz rec plugs, the four pin is too high a heat range and will cause problems later on.
No, I, of course , was referring to the six cylinders in front of the fans :-) . I should bleed the air out of the upper hose/ tstat housing, no,? How? Special coolant? Have a great day dude. You have been seriously helpful
Afdefelice is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 07:24 AM
Outstanding Contributor
 
eric242340's Avatar
 
Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
Location: The wild west of the Far East
Posts: 52,163
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afdefelice View Post
No, I, of course , was referring to the six cylinders in front of the fans :-) . I should bleed the air out of the upper hose/ tstat housing, no,? How? Special coolant? Have a great day dude. You have been seriously helpful
With Benz unlike BMW there is no real need to bleed air, just leave the header tank top off and bring the car up to working temp, once air bubbles stop put the top on, oh and put the heater on full blast inside the car whilst bleeding, this will ensure there is no air lock in the heater matrix. Benz have their own coolant but 99% of coolants will suffice with this model.

ERIC.

___________________________________________
"I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a friend, if you have one."
- George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.

Last edited by eric242340; 07-28-2013 at 07:27 AM.
eric242340 is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Date registered: Jul 2013
Vehicle: Mercedes Benz C280
Location: gaithersburg MD
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric242340 View Post
With Benz unlike BMW there is no real need to bleed air, just leave the header tank top off and bring the car up to working temp, once air bubbles stop put the top on, oh and put the heater on full blast inside the car whilst bleeding, this will ensure there is no air lock in the heater matrix. Benz have their own coolant but 99% of coolants will suffice with this model.
OK; got it. I think I will just buy the whole fan/motor/ clutch module. Relays, too? They ever go bad?
Afdefelice is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 08:14 AM
Outstanding Contributor
 
eric242340's Avatar
 
Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
Location: The wild west of the Far East
Posts: 52,163
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afdefelice View Post
OK; got it. I think I will just buy the whole fan/motor/ clutch module. Relays, too? They ever go bad?
I am begining to think you are talking about the auxilliary fan and not the thermal fan, if so just buy the whole unit, forget the relay as the fan is getting power. Thermal fans do not need power and work on heat, so you mean the aux/electric fan.

If this is the case and the fan does run but does not go to high speed then the module is the cause so change the module first.

ERIC.

___________________________________________
"I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a friend, if you have one."
- George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.

Last edited by eric242340; 07-28-2013 at 08:16 AM.
eric242340 is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Date registered: Jul 2013
Vehicle: Mercedes Benz C280
Location: gaithersburg MD
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
The slow spinning fan is closest to the eng block. I should let it get as hot as it will, to if it goes to high? But the orange fluid level/ (temp?)) Light be have come on. If no shift to high, I will replace that module. Where is it? I do not think I ever heard the roar of the main fan as it kicks in. I am starting to think both the aux fan module and the thermal clutch main are shot. If so, amazing how efficient the MB cooling is. Another clue: the AC is not "conditioning".
Afdefelice is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 08:50 AM
Outstanding Contributor
 
eric242340's Avatar
 
Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
Location: The wild west of the Far East
Posts: 52,163
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afdefelice View Post
The slow spinning fan is closest to the eng block. I should let it get as hot as it will, to if it goes to high? But the orange fluid level/ (temp?)) Light be have come on. If no shift to high, I will replace that module. Where is it? I do not think I ever heard the roar of the main fan as it kicks in. I am starting to think both the aux fan module and the thermal clutch main are shot. If so, amazing how efficient the MB cooling is. Another clue: the AC is not "conditioning".
OK we are getting somewhere, the clutch fan needs changing, that is a given. Now as to the electric fans you need to fix the air conditioning first as these fans/fan depending on model, some models have two and some one. The fan/s are turned on according to AC pressure via a sensor on the dryer. So no AC means only one stage on the aux fan/s. Get the air con tested as it may be low on freon gas.

ERIC.

___________________________________________
"I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a friend, if you have one."
- George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.
eric242340 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











  • Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
     
    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page
    Display Modes
    Linear Mode Linear Mode



    Posting Rules  
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are On
    Pingbacks are On
    Refbacks are On

     

    Title goes here

    close
    video goes here
    description goes here. Read Full Story
    For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome