post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2013
Vehicle: E350 Wagon 2011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Battery dead again

My E350 wagon is 2 1/2 years old with 20,000 miles. The car wouldn't start about two weeks ago and I had to put it on a charger. The car had been sitting in the garage for more than a week. Yesterday the battery was dead again; the car had been sitting for 4 days. I have never had a car that needed a battery before the 5th year (even cars we had in Arizona that sat much of the time). Before I call the dealer, a couple of questions:
1. With another German car brand they recommend locking the car when left in the garage as that 'puts the computers to sleep' and cuts current draw.
2. Is my kind of problem common in e350s that sit a week at a time.
3. Does anyone know what the current draw should be when the car is parked- unlocked and locked. I will ask the dealer to check but would like to know what it should be.
4. In a search I read that these cars have a backup battery. If this is correct where is it located and what limited functions does it support?
5. Is the primary battery conventional lead acid?
6. I use battery maintainers on my other cars that sit for periods of time. Maybe I will have to do that on the E350 even though it sits for relatively short periods. If so what maintainers are others using? Do you have to buy the M-B brand or will Battery Tender or Interstate work as well?
Will appreciate your help and advise, Jim B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 11:23 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2003
Vehicle: 2012 Focus SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
What kind of driving do you do in terms of distance per trip?

Felicita e un bicchiere di vino con un panino.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 12:00 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Jim,
With your car being as new as it is and I assume it must be under warranty, why not let the dealership look at it. If it is something like a phantom draw, it is a pain to track down on your own.

Mike
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Vehicle: E350 Wagon 2011
(Thread Starter)
Thanks to both for replies. Half of trips are 10-15 miles, other half are 30-50 miles. That may be part of problem but my wife's car is driven less often and on shorter trips- a 2006 Lexus LS 430. It has its original battery which has never needed charging. Also have a few 'fun' cars which see limited use but seem more resilient at holding charge. As suggested I've got the car scheduled for service on Thursday. Service rep said that wasn't right & they would check out charging and amperage draw. I see I have a four year warranty on the car, don't know if that includes the battery.
Found the battery which is huge and maintenance free ( I assume AGM), I've got it on a charger now & will see what happens. I tried two trickle chargers that plug into the cigarette lighter outlets and neither was making contact ( one was Interstate 1.25 amp, the other an OEM unit 500 mAmp). Maybe you have to buy a M-B trickle charger??
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 12:32 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmb View Post
My E350 wagon is 2 1/2 years old with 20,000 miles. The car wouldn't start about two weeks ago and I had to put it on a charger. The car had been sitting in the garage for more than a week. Yesterday the battery was dead again; the car had been sitting for 4 days. I have never had a car that needed a battery before the 5th year (even cars we had in Arizona that sat much of the time). Before I call the dealer, a couple of questions:
1. With another German car brand they recommend locking the car when left in the garage as that 'puts the computers to sleep' and cuts current draw.
2. Is my kind of problem common in e350s that sit a week at a time.
3. Does anyone know what the current draw should be when the car is parked- unlocked and locked. I will ask the dealer to check but would like to know what it should be.
4. In a search I read that these cars have a backup battery. If this is correct where is it located and what limited functions does it support?
5. Is the primary battery conventional lead acid?
6. I use battery maintainers on my other cars that sit for periods of time. Maybe I will have to do that on the E350 even though it sits for relatively short periods. If so what maintainers are others using? Do you have to buy the M-B brand or will Battery Tender or Interstate work as well?
Will appreciate your help and advise, Jim B
1) the car should enter full sleep mode even if doors were not locked. I doubt other brands need doors locked either, if the cars are OK. You should make sure your phone is not connected to the car via BT (like if the car stays very close to your house) and that the KG keys are not very close to the car.

2) one week or one month should be fine as long as your battery is fully charged when you park the car.

3) at full sleep the battery drain should be less than 80 mA (40 mA on a car that has no alarm).

4) You would only have a very small backup battery for the gear shift control, nothing like the AUX/SBC brakes battery on the W211 or the separate starter battery on cars like R230 and W221 (pre-facelift).

5) MB typically uses AGM/VRLA batteries but some models have lead acid batteries (check the labels at the battery to be sure).

6) the MB branded maintenance charger is made by CTEK but many other chargers are fine too (I'm not familiar with the brands you mention, cannot comment those).

Welcome to the forum!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 12:39 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
I tried two trickle chargers that plug into the cigarette lighter outlets and neither was making contact
The W212 should not have power on the cigarette lighter when ignition is off. You cannot trickle charge the battery from the cigarette lighter then.

It is quite possible that the car has an intermittent quiescent current issue. Can be difficult to figure out at a garage too, if it is intermittent. The garage however should be aware of quiescent current issues typical to this specific model (at least if they read any of the documents MB provides them).
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 03:39 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
I would do the checking as DB pointed.
We had several of our MB parked in carports for 5 weeks with alarms on and they always started on their own power.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 12:13 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Vehicle: 2007 c230 w203
Quote:
Service rep said that wasn't right & they would check out charging and amperage draw. I see I have a four year warranty on the car, don't know if that includes the battery.
Yes battery draw issues and the vehicle Battery are covered under factory warrenty. But just be aware that they may not find anything right away. Some time these draws can be tricky to find, and have to have the vehicle sit for a day or two while being monitored to find/verify the issue, but the dealer should be able to find it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in