LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Dec 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2002 E320 Wagon SHAKING

I just purchased my father's E320 Wagon w/ 75K miles on it b/c he was in need of money and for 7K I thought it was an alright deal. He hasn't really taken care of it the last 6 months and I knew it needed tires. After getting it in my possession and adding over 3 quarts of oil,(I bought the good stuff) I took it to get new tires.

After driving about 20 miles on it with the new tires the check engine light went on. I continued to drive it and later that day while going about 60 MPH up a hill it started shaking and I lost most of my acceleration. I turned the car off, waited 10 minutes, mostly b/c I was freaked out and then turned it back. It seemed alright, but I was hesitant to get it back on the highway.

A few days went by w/ no issues and I drove it on the highway a bit and it did the same thing. Shaking and losing acceleration. The check engine light had gone back off and when I felt the shaking the check engine light simultaneously turned on.

I took it to a shop after the 2nd time it happened. He had a the computer reading that 2 of the cylinders were misfiring. He suggested spark plugs. He replaced all the spark plugs.

After the spark plugs were done I went to take it down the shore and the shaking happened again driving down. Again simultaneous w/ the check engine light going on. However, when I drove it back up is when I encountered the problem and it wouldn't go away. Even after turning it off after the shaking I couldn't get the car up to highway speeds w/o the engine misfiring.

I currently have the car home and it drives around town OK but I'm scared to death to take it further than 20 minutes away or on a highway( which isn't terrible b/c I have another car).

So I brought it into the guy again and he said that cylinder 1 and 5 were misfiring and that it was the coils and wires. He wants $800 to fix it. In the estimate it says $344 for "wires" and $270 for (2) "ign coils". The rest is labor.

I'm unsure about trusting this guy and any information or suggestions you guys might have would be terrific.

Also, the car seems to run hot to me. Always above 80 but never above 100. I have a '97 C280 w/ 250K and I don't take care of it much and unless it is brutally hot and I'm sitting in traffic I've never seen it reach the levels that this car seems to be defaulted to.

TL;DR recap
  • Car shakes on highway as well as losing acceleration ( not always at one speed)
  • Will drive fine for a seemingly arbitrary amount of time and then start shaking (seems to be no rhyme or reason)
  • Spark plugs replaced
  • Mechanic suggests coils and wires
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 07:22 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
I would get the codes read for yourself. Either Advanced Auto or Autozone can do it. Post the actual codes on the forum. It seems strange to have shaking due to misfires alone. I am not sure how mechanically inclined you are but if want to try, you can move the coils on cylinders 1 and 5 around and see if the misfire moves accordingly. If you do want to do this, I can give you more specific directions. Changing wires is straightforward. You will need a tool for the rear most wires. It is a 17mm offset wrench. You can do it with a regular 17mm wrench but it is a pain.
The prices for the parts being quoted seem high. Check out Autohaus Arizona for better prices.
Where are you located? Check out this sub-forum:

Recommended Repair Shops - Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum

Regarding the temperature, it should be a bit over 80 degrees. At least that is what is has run on the two M112 engines I have owned.

Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: