BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2013
Vehicle: 1995 c180 elegance
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy Im a woman, doing my research before im ripped off

Hi Everyone,
Wonderful forum you have here. Ive learnt a lot already. So heres my problem that ill be needing help with. I bought a 95 c180 elegance. This is my dream car and driving it is a pleasure! UNTIL....a male friend saw some wires that apparently were in poor shape. He replaced wiring, the ones that connect to fuel injectors...I had no idea this was happening so I really don't know the entire story..but the new wiring wasn't replaced in correct order so the car wont start. I had my poor merc towed home today. A mechanic said I need a "new engine harness"..how do I know that though? at $1650 id like to be sure! Im thinking of buying a new wiring loom to see if it just the new wiring job that wasn't colour coded etc may be the problem..i don't have gazillions to spend so im reading and trying to learn.. I don't want to be another woman ripped off by mechanics.
Any Advice for me?Please& thanks for reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 07:33 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2013
Vehicle: cash corn belt
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Hi Alexia Your c180 will not be hurt as long as you take your time.
Welcome to this benzworld. There are forums dealing with your c180 if you find the correct one Put your question there and it will be picked up by someone who has experience with the engine loom. Bye.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 10:11 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Here is a link to the correct forum for questions on your car;

W202 C-Class - Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum

ERIC.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 10:39 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2011
Vehicle: 02 c320, 99 C43, 90 560SEL, 67 280SL
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
No worries

Its not a big deal for an electrician or a mechanic with electrical wisdom. Actually it is simple wiring repair. Your friend probably just did something backwards, or left something poorly connected. The injectors are low voltage high current, so connections must be good. The wires are color coded: brown to brown, red with yellow stripe to the same, etc. There is only 4 connectors with 2wires each, only 8 wire connections. Probably a bone head stupid mistake.

I had a similar rip-off with a BMW (sorry, I'll never buy a bmw again.) The connectors were not well sealed, (unlike a MB) and water could sneak in to connections, corroding them. That gives you a loss of current through the connector. Earlier, I found an oxidized O2 sensor connector, carefully cleaned it, silicone greased it: problem solved and filled with connector sealing silicone grease, no way for water to get back in

The engine would cut out and I trouble shot it to gas and maybe the injectors because everything else was working well. I gave up due to time and brought it to a bemer guy. I told him what I had done and hoped he would start where I had left off. Oops, he fried me. He repeated everything I did plus wires, plugs valve adjustment, amateur trouble shooting or customer gouging. He found water had gotten into the injector connectors, (Maybe just one, and my fault, I had hose cleaned the motor to find oil leaks.)

He swore the only way to fix it was to replace the whole harness about $800. $2000 later, I realized he could have just cleaned the connectors and silicone greased them. But he wouldn't make any money on it or have the fun of replacing plugs, plug wires, a new air box, and me paying for his day of play time. Hope this give you encouragement.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 02:47 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2013
Vehicle: 2003 CLK320 (A208) in Triple Black
Good advice above. If the car was working before the wiring was messed with, it will probably work when wired correctly. Get an MB mechanic to look at it where it is. If it's just the wrong connections being made, he/she may be able to fix it on the spot.

Good luck and best wishes.

DeutscheFahrer

'03 CLK320 (A208)--"Nyx"--Black/Black/Black (104K)
'09 Camry Hybrid--"Cassandra"--Red/Tan (60K)
'10 Tundra SR5--"Xena"--Black/Tan/Black Cap (15K)
'15 Highlander Limited--"Pandora II"--OohLaLaRouge/Tan (3K miles)
'16 VW GTI--PP & DSG--"Ostara"--Black/Black (114 Miles)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thank you for your advice..
I had it looked at today. I felt very positive with the diagnosis. Which was the wiring that was tampered with could easily be replaced. He told me to ring around find a loom and he would fit it in a few hours. I was relieved until ringing merc parts who told me they cant just sell the fuel injector wiring loom..it has to be sold with the whole engine wiring harness so im back to looking for over a thousand dollars..Not happy at all tonight ;(
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 08:03 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexia View Post
Thank you for your advice..
I had it looked at today. I felt very positive with the diagnosis. Which was the wiring that was tampered with could easily be replaced. He told me to ring around find a loom and he would fit it in a few hours. I was relieved until ringing merc parts who told me they cant just sell the fuel injector wiring loom..it has to be sold with the whole engine wiring harness so im back to looking for over a thousand dollars..Not happy at all tonight ;(
Scrap yard and get a second hand harness for small money.

ERIC.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
thanks, that was my next option. will be looking tomorrow.
fingers crossed.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 11:11 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2011
Vehicle: 02 c320, 99 C43, 90 560SEL, 67 280SL
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
loom parts

Ok, I've heard this before. challenge on. contact lindsey racing. Indian country USA. INJECTOR HARNESS at LINDSEY RACING - Your Porsche Performance Parts Center
I play with Porches too. They will send you brand new wires for whatever you need. Ask for black tell them how many cylinders and if its a V. I would measure exactly what you need and describe it. Or, cut the harnes and send it to them. They will make a perfect replacement. Can you tell i like these guys?

I have never bought an aftermarket (non OEM) racing part that fit perfectly before buying from these 2 brothers. I have a 4" turbo exhaust that fits perfectly and sounds and works beyond expectation.

I had a burned loom from an engine fire. I bought a used loom and then later found Lindsey had addressed the problem of sub loom wire and connector replacement. Or just buy something that has the wires you need. The person helping you can see how it is supposed to be connected and fix it for you.

This is technically easy. Do you have an electronics supply store near by? Like Radio Shack? Ask them to re-connect the wires. I'm sure its just wrong colored wire connected to wrong colored wire or somthing dump like un-stripped wires. This is too easy to be such a big problem
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by garymand View Post
Ok, I've heard this before. challenge on. contact lindsey racing. Indian country USA. INJECTOR HARNESS at LINDSEY RACING - Your Porsche Performance Parts Center
I play with Porches too. They will send you brand new wires for whatever you need. Ask for black tell them how many cylinders and if its a V. I would measure exactly what you need and describe it. Or, cut the harnes and send it to them. They will make a perfect replacement. Can you tell i like these guys?

I have never bought an aftermarket (non OEM) racing part that fit perfectly before buying from these 2 brothers. I have a 4" turbo exhaust that fits perfectly and sounds and works beyond expectation.

I had a burned loom from an engine fire. I bought a used loom and then later found Lindsey had addressed the problem of sub loom wire and connector replacement. Or just buy something that has the wires you need. The person helping you can see how it is supposed to be connected and fix it for you.

This is technically easy. Do you have an electronics supply store near by? Like Radio Shack? Ask them to re-connect the wires. I'm sure its just wrong colored wire connected to wrong colored wire or somthing dump like un-stripped wires. This is too easy to be such a big problem
thanks mate, I too think this is too easy to be such a big problem..however everyone I speak to here does not feel the same. I do not understand why they cant sell me just that loom?! and I cannot find wreckers where I could just go salvage it. I will look into the option you have suggested which seems so logical. cant help but think if I was male this problem wouldn't be a problem..so frustrating. I really cant be spending over $1000 on a harness so im hoping all this frustration pays off in the end
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in