LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Help me pick my next Mercedes

Am looking at buying a cheap Mercedes (under $5000) and could use some advice.

This will not be my first Mercedes, I bought my first one in 1972 (a 62 220SE sedan) and have also owned a 1958 180D, 67 220, 69 220D, and an 85 300SD.

I also worked in garages and body shops for years and am a decent mechanic if I say so myself. But these days prefer to let others do the work.

The other factor is size. I am 6'3" tall and weigh 270 lbs (have heard of diets but find them unappealing) and at 62 am not as limber as I used to be.

So, I am thinking the C class is out. Although I like them, suspect they are too small for someone my size.

There usually a few decent looking E class sedans for sale on Kijiji in the local (Toronto Canada) area, mid 90s to early 2000s for $2000 to $5000.

And there are 3 possible S class cars, a 1991 with 177000 kilometers for $2700, a 95 with 210000km for $2000 and a 98 with 165000km for $3900.

Am leaning toward the S class cars. The size and gas mileage don't scare me but the chance of a complicated and costly repair does. The 91 is the last of the W126 models which is good, but is over 20 years old, not so good. The newer models are a little newer, don't have too many miles on them, and are nicer cars.

I don't expect miracles and realize at these prices you can be a little chancy. Am willing to take a reasonable gamble that a car could quit within months, and if I get 2 or 3 years without a major repair bill (over $1000) will feel I have got my money's worth. PS I used to buy all my parts from Autohaus in Arizona, OEM name brand parts for half or less the suggested retail price.

Have not driven or examined any of these as the closest one is 75 miles away. Would appreciate any constructive suggestions from those more experienced in these models.

Last edited by Rusty O'Toole; 06-28-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 08:08 PM
DrX
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2003 A160
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
For $5000 you could buy a 2002 ML320. Test drive one with a sunroof - you might like it.

The high driving position makes it easier for tall people to get in & out.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Have heard bad things about the ML320 regarding reliability and expensive repairs. Am looking more for a sedan type vehicle.

I like the looks of the coupes but assume they will be scanty of headroom. One reason I am looking at Mercedes again is that there don't seem to be any cars made to fit big guys anymore. Have tried Lincolns and Cadillacs, not enough room. This to me is crazy. In the sixties and seventies I had plenty of room even in cheap cars like Dodge Darts. Now everyone is twice as big as they were then, and the car makers act like the world is populated by fashion models and midgets.

The sun roof suggestion would work, I could drive most cars with my noggin sticking out, but what do I do when it rains? (joke)

Seriously I don't like sun roof cars. They steal just enough headroom to make a passable car a pain in the neck for me. The only cars with sun roofs I have driven that still had adequate head room were my old Fintail 62 220 and an air cooled VW beetle.

Last edited by Rusty O'Toole; 06-28-2013 at 08:21 PM.
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Maybe I should add, one reason I like MB cars is that I have found them very well made, reliable, seldom need repairs, and the parts prices are very reasonable. And, you have good material to work with.

This is all based on working on models from 1958 - 1985. I hear things changed not long after that.

Should I be more leery of MB quality and repair issues?
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 09:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Mar 2013
Vehicle: 2008 ML320CDI 4Matic, 161K miles; 1983 380SL (die Rostlaube), 238K miles
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Go take a look at a W210. $5K will get you into a post-facelift (2000-2002) model, albeit one with higher miles, and they're simpler and easier to work on than the W140. I love mine.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 01:38 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1120 Post(s)
There is long thread about other member seeking good W210 and it is not as easy as you can think.
I discovered W210 to have more legroom, than Hummer, but I am only 5-9 with long legs. Still think you will find W210 pretty roomy. S class will be more expensive, especially in Canada. How far are you willing to travel? Last W210 diesel I bought was 3000 miles from home and turned very good deal,.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 05:19 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 13 S550 4MATIC advantgarde edition, 2000 E55, 1982 500 SEC
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
If you find the right w126 you will not be disappointed. Look far and wide they are out there. I'm biased of course. The 126 cars are becoming rare around toronto and yet still have a commanding presence which is a testament to the car's sculpted lines . I sometimes cannot believe how visually stunning the car is. Of course not everyone shares my appreciation of the 126, but to me it represents the golden age of the modern classic benz.
Well cared for examples drive smooth as silk, are easy to work on and parts are available. if you find a 300 se the gas mileage is superb and the engine is bullet proof.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 06:25 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
I like the W126 models and there are 2 nice low mile examples on Kijiji right now. My only concern is the age, one is 26 years old the other is 22. Can they be reliable daily transportation? How about the air conditioning systems? Are they more reliable and easier to fix than later models?

From perusing other threads it seems Mercedes went through a bad period in the late 90s. Reliability improved on the 98 and newer models. Any thoughts on this?
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 07:22 AM
DrX
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2003 A160
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty O'Toole View Post
Have heard bad things about the ML320 regarding reliability and expensive repairs. Am looking more for a sedan type vehicle.
The '02-'05 MLs have superior reliability over the previous years due to a design overhaul including 1100+ new/upgraded parts. They also benefited from an exterior facelift.

The sunroof increases headroom - you open the internal blind and there's space between your head and the roof glass. I'm 6' 1" and I think it's a great choice for a tall person.

It would be worth a look.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
I did a search for M320s in the local (70 - 100 miles away) area. There were none under $10,000 except for one at a dealer for $5000 except it has no safety certificate. It is illegal to drive a vehicle without this, and the cost is trivial (under $100) for the inspection. So when a dealer sells a vehicle like that uncertified you must assume it needs expensive repairs and they would rather sell it cheap.

Long story short, they are rare and expensive here. So I will keep looking at sedans.

To recap: Looking for a decent driver under $5000. I am assuming the C class and coupes are out because of my size. So we are talking about an E or S class.

Are there any years or models that are known lemons or known to be especially good on repairs, or at least easier and cheaper to fix?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in