Help me pick my next Mercedes - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 07:32 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Date registered: Mar 2013
Vehicle: 2008 ML320CDI 4Matic, 161K miles; 1983 380SL (die Rostlaube), 238K miles
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Originally Posted by Rusty O'Toole View Post
Right now the favorite is a 1998 E320 4matic with 219,000k for $1950. Sentimental favorite, a 1987 420 with 160,000K for $1500, both terrific bargains if they are as good as they look in the photos.
Be sure to examine them thoroughly, with a mechanic's eye. If you're not familiar with the specific chassis, you might seriously consider paying an independent Mercedes shop a couple hundred bucks to get another opinion.

Due to the holiday weekend it won't be possible to go and see any of them until Tuesday at the earliest.
What, individuals don't do things on Canada Day? (Eh?)
Sponsored Links
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Jun 2013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Everyone is oot at the cottage with the family. Car dealers and other businesses closed of course on Sunday and Monday.

Last edited by Rusty O'Toole; 06-29-2013 at 08:27 PM.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 07:36 PM
Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 90 300E, 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Indeed, and the front drive is the reason I would probably not consider a CLA for myself.

When I had an E55 I put Nokian snow tires on it for the winter and it did very well as I had the LSD option.
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 08:17 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1070 Post(s)
I remember having vehicle troubles in Canada long time ago, but I guess it did not change much?
When you have car trouble Friday afternoon and you don't line up mechanic by 4PM- you have to wait till Monday. When you have flat tire on your truck and you need it fixed - be ready to carry it from your truck inside tire shop for the repair
Anyway, the below $2000 W210 sound great, but remembering how Ontario members bitch about corrosion - I can pretty well imagine what the cars look like.
Similar models in South cost at least 5 grands, while pristine go above 10.
I did drive 4Matic in California for couple of seasons. Saved my vacation during desert flooding in Nevada, not mentioning that 2WD on my driveway like to kick the traction control, while 4M was just going. Cost of owning 4M is not that much more than 2WD, but I gave up 4M wagon because they are not available with diesels.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Jun 2013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Corrosion is still a problem although not near as bad as it used to be. They cut way down on road salt in the 80s because it was polluting the waterways.

It was about that time car makers made better efforts at rust proofing. Once more Mercedes was in the lead, their cars had a thick rubber undercoating on the bottom that resembled a spray on bed liner, back in the sixties.

Any car should be inspected carefully top and bottom. Will take my laptop along and check for codes on the OBD system too.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: