Help me pick my next Mercedes - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 10:10 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Mar 2013
Vehicle: 2008 ML320CDI 4Matic, 161K miles; 1983 380SL (die Rostlaube), 238K miles
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Well, you can always ask why they're selling it uncertified.

Kajtek and I are participants in that long thread he's referring to. The original poster there is looking for something different form you, however: he needs a car that won't need much in the way of repairs, and doesn't do his own work. That makes the cars scarcer and more expensive.

As a Mercedes mechanic, you're in a much better position both to evaluate the cars and to perform needed repairs. The rap against the post-facelift (2000-2002) W210s is that, by now, they tend to need work, especially in your price range. You should be able to find one that you can afford and yet don't have problems you can't fix.

Go drive one before you pull the trigger. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I see you are a 4matic owner. I have been shying away from them because of the extra complexity. Should I?
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 12:44 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Vehicle: 2008 ML320CDI 4Matic, 161K miles; 1983 380SL (die Rostlaube), 238K miles
Lifetime Premium Member
That depends on where you are. If you live in snow country, then I'd say that the extra complexity is worth it to give you the extra traction in bad weather. Then again, I'm biased: I'm convinced my 4Matic saved my ass in the sleet one morning in April. I'm also from Houston originally, and will not consider owning a vehicle in Minnesota without 4WD.

Note that that goes for the W210 4Matic. That system is much, much simpler than the W124 version, and the W124 4Matic system has a reputation for unreliability.

There are some jobs on the 4Matic front end that the drivetrain makes more complex, but that's the kind of tradeoff you have to make.

If you live in Houston, on the other hand, I wouldn't mess with it.

Edit: I read back. You're in Toronto. I'd get the 4Matic, unless you're experienced and comfortable with driving RWD in the snow.

Last edited by jaymaynard; 06-29-2013 at 12:49 PM.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
I have been driving on snow and ice for 40 years and almost never wanted 4 wheel drive. Front wheel drive and radial tires are so far ahead of a rear drive car or pickup with bias ply tires. Once or twice I bought 4 wheel drive trucks because they were a good deal but didn't like the way they drove and didn't like the lousy mileage or expensive repairs.

In other words I would not pay extra for a 4matic Mercedes. I am wondering if I am being too hasty in writing them off entirely or should I consider one at the right price?
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 01:45 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Vehicle: 2003 c240
Post I think you'd fit!

I have a 2003 C240. Up until about a year and a half ago, I also had a husband (until he decided in his infinite wisdom that he didn't want to be married to me anymore......but that's a totally different story). He was just about EXACTLY your height and weight and fit very comfortably in my car both as a driver and as a passenger. Don't discount the C-class as an option for you, I think you would probably find it roomier than you imagine. Also, the price point for one is going to be similar to what you want to pay. I just looked up the KBB figures for mine and $6,500 is about it for high value even in excellent condition. Good luck with your search! Sorry.....mine's not for sale.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 04:55 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty O'Toole View Post
I have been driving on snow and ice for 40 years and almost never wanted 4 wheel drive. Front wheel drive and radial tires are so far ahead of a rear drive car or pickup with bias ply tires. Once or twice I bought 4 wheel drive trucks because they were a good deal but didn't like the way they drove and didn't like the lousy mileage or expensive repairs.
Remember that Mercedes come in either RWD or 4Matic. No FWD here.

Quote:
In other words I would not pay extra for a 4matic Mercedes. I am wondering if I am being too hasty in writing them off entirely or should I consider one at the right price?
I'd say don't strike them off the list. Again, it depends on what condition it's in and what faults there are. There's at least one place where 4Matic beats the RWD version: the front spring perches on the W210 (at least pre-facelift) tend to rust under the mastic coating that's supposed to stop that. I've seen comments that the 4Matic version doesn't have that problem; I'm not entirely sure it's true, but the spring perches on the 4Matic are much higher than on the RWD, which to me would lower the incidence of problems at a minimum.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 05:48 PM

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 90 300E, 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Front wheel drive is on the way.
2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA-Class Review | Edmunds.com
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 07:05 PM
Supreme Sandwich

Date registered: Aug 2010
Vehicle: '84 Euro 500SE, '85 Euro 2.3-16, '51 Euro 170S, '97 Jeep Wrangler Sport, '08 BMW Z4 3.0si, '09 E350
Location: San Antonio, Texas/Gulf Breeze, Florida/Neustadt a.d. Aisch, Deutschland
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
With regards to the W126, I've daily'd my Euro 500SE for the last two years, without any issues other than routine this and that. It turns 30 this December.

'85 Euro 190E 2.3-16
'84 Euro 500SE ~100k miles
'51 Euro 170S *Being reborn*
'97 Jeep Wrangler Sport ~42k miles
'08 BMW Z4 3.0 si ~14.3k miles
'09 E350 ~51k miles
'98 Dodge Durango SLT+ 5.9L Magnum V8

~Josh
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Right now the favorite is a 1998 E320 4matic with 219,000k for $1950. Sentimental favorite, a 1987 420 with 160,000K for $1500, both terrific bargains if they are as good as they look in the photos.

C class getting a second look thanks to Germanengineeringlover.

Due to the holiday weekend it won't be possible to go and see any of them until Tuesday at the earliest.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 08:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
Front wheel drive is on the way.
2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA-Class Review | Edmunds.com
Agreed...but not in the OP's price class.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in