LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2012
Vehicle: 1999 ML 430 77K
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
99 ML430 stats poorly sputters and stalls.

1999 ML430 Starts poorly sputters and stalls. Was driving just fine and started missing about 50min into a drive. Within a mile, she was barely limping along. I disconnected the battery and then she fired right up drove for about a mile and did the same thing except the battery trick did not work again. I disconnected the MAF while it was poorly idling and the sputtering stayed the same. I replaced the MAF and no change. It still sputters and stalls. The check engine light came on once. Does anyone have an idea what this may be? I replaces the Cats 9 months ago and everything has been fine other than the door locks acting up. Thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 04:26 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Welcome to Benzworld, forum for questions on your model is;

W163 M-Class - Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum

Get a local workshop to test the fuel line pressure, may be a blocked fuel filter or bad pump.

ERIC.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for trying to help...all ideas are welcome. Since it happened so sudden, I kinda ruled out the fuel filter...maybe a mistake on my part. The poor thing is just limping along. I will check that out. I am toying with the idea of Injectors, vac leak somewhere, or possibly the TPS but thought that would only affect the ignition. Thanks again!!!
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Fuel pressure looks good, replaced the MAF and cleared codes. Still just starts poorly, sucks a few breaths and stalls. I can get it to idle if I let it sit for a few days or disconnect the battery and reconnect then it idles poorly and stalls after about a minute. New codes pulled are P0720 (output speed sensor) and P0700 (Trans Control Sys) but feel that P0720 is causing P0700 to show. Can a speed sensor cause stalling and poor starting? It is acting like a bad MAF still.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 01:59 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerson69 View Post
Fuel pressure looks good, replaced the MAF and cleared codes. Still just starts poorly, sucks a few breaths and stalls. I can get it to idle if I let it sit for a few days or disconnect the battery and reconnect then it idles poorly and stalls after about a minute. New codes pulled are P0720 (output speed sensor) and P0700 (Trans Control Sys) but feel that P0720 is causing P0700 to show. Can a speed sensor cause stalling and poor starting? It is acting like a bad MAF still.
Trans codes are not causing this, looks like a large air leak. Get a mirror and check the back of the manifold near the MAF for holes as there was a batch of bad manifolds about the time this car was made.

ERIC.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks...Will check that again. I sprayed a full can of carb cleaner around there when I could still get her to idle and noticed no change. She will idle very poorly now for about 10 sec. Glad to know it's not the P0720 I still think your fuel filter and or pump was a good guess and don't trust my local shop re the pressure test. I may pick up a gauge and do it myself to be sure. also, I used an after-market MAF which may have bit me in the arss. Thanks again very much for trying.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Eric, I did the pressure test and it failed miserably. May idle for a minute or so, but the pressure drops and the engine dies. That said, I do feel it is coming from the Filter or pump (not sure which one) and do not know how to isolate one or the other. Any tis on figuring that out. The pump runs $300 and the filter is around $200 with the hose change. Any thoughts one determining one or the other?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 12:19 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerson69 View Post
Eric, I did the pressure test and it failed miserably. May idle for a minute or so, but the pressure drops and the engine dies. That said, I do feel it is coming from the Filter or pump (not sure which one) and do not know how to isolate one or the other. Any tis on figuring that out. The pump runs $300 and the filter is around $200 with the hose change. Any thoughts one determining one or the other?
The filter is a consumable item and needs changing often so change that first. But I do suspect the pump. Then you could remove the filter and join the pipes together just to test the engine without a filter. A piece of copper pipe with a couple of jubilee clips should do the job.

ERIC.

Last edited by eric242340; 07-09-2013 at 12:21 AM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks again!! I will try bypassing the filter but will end up replacing both to avoid complications. Great Idea...simple and solves the problem
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 11:02 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2010
Vehicle: 1999 ML430
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi emerson,

Did replacing the fuel pump work? I am having the exact same problem on the exact same day on my 99 ml430, is yours silver? maybe it has to do it the color (kidding). Already replaced the MAF (also replaced 2 yrs ago, Bosch) and didn't fix it, replaced the fuel filter about a year ago, so now I am curious about the fuel pump.

Thanks,
CP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in