Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

83 300D A/C questions

646 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Noodles 
#1 ·
I am working on an 83 300 diesel with auto climate control. I retrofitted and recharged the A/C. However the belt squeals at idle due to the compressor being over worked. The condenser fan is not operating on the front of the radiator. My question is, is this fan supposed to operate when the A/C is on like most cars? If you run the engine at like 1500 rpm or so it doesn't squeal. The low side pressure is like 40 and the high side is over 300. I would imagine the auxilary fan should run but it is not.

#3 ·
The system has been retrofitted to r134a. The electric fan will not come on. The alldata spec for refrigerant said 1300 grams. The system is not overcharged. I believe the condenser fan problem is causing the strain at idle because the engine fan does not move enough air.

#6 ·
Those numbers are good. I should have read your first post again where I see you listed the pressure.

I am baffled. Was there a long period of time where the compressor was not in use? A lot of the older ones do not like being dormant for long periods of time.
We had one that was not used for about two years and it would strain and the only fix was for me to put a rebuilt one in.
If I recall it was an 82 or 83 gas version of the 300.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.