Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

CLK320, brake work at pep boys ok?

7K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Musikmann 
#1 ·
I can get my brakes for a very reasonable price at pep boys. For something so routine like standard brake pads and brake work can I have pep boys do that or does that need to be done by a mercedes dealer as well?

#2 ·
For the last 2 brake jobs for my CLK320, I bought the parts from MB dealership and got them done by an indie. Brake jobs are routine works that can be done by any indie. Of course, a bad mechanic can ruin any simple job.

My indie charged me one hour per axle. I always change the rotors as well.

#6 ·
If your car was new, as in you just dropped $45K on it, would you trust it to Pep Boys?

If the answer is no, then you shouldn't trust it to them simply because it's old and didn't cost you much.

If the answer is yes...well, then I'd be willing to wager that you're in a very small minority.

The only reason I can imagine for taking the car to Pep Boys (or Jiffy Lube or any other generic repair outfit) is because you personally know someone there who does quality work (based upon your personal past experience with them) and they are the one that is going to be doing all of the work on your car. If not, you have to be willing to trust your car to the lowest common denominator in their shop.

Brakes are not difficult, but they are particular. Best case scenario, they do it right. Odds-on case scenario you'll have a relatively minor issue, like brake noise (oh, is this common with German cars when people don't know what they are doing!!). Worst case, they actually do something that compromises your stopping ability. That's a horrifying thought, and a gamble you shouldn't be willing to take. Hey, if they botch an oil change, they ruin your engine. But that's only money.

If they botch a brake job, you could be seriously injured or killed (or kill someone else).

Not worth it, not in my opinion. Find a decent indie shop or learn to DIY.

#8 ·
Well, they do sell tires there, and that's more likely to be something with which they can be trusted as opposed to brakes. :D :D

#9 ·
I bought tires at PepBoys ... for my truck.
And the counter technician drop 75 lb tire on his face from 7 foot tall shelf. I think he lost couple of teeth, but I did not follow.
I bought battery for my MB at Pepboys and ... installed it myself.
Doubt they would know how to reset the windows and ESP.
Bare in mind that the guy who will work on your car could be the one flipping the burgers 2 weeks before 1-day training.
In the past- owners of older MB would take them for oil change to Jiffy Lube or such. What can be done wrong with basic oil change?
Well... JiffyLube guys have never seen aluminum filter nuts, like older MB did have and applied torque specified for steel nuts.
How many non-DIY Mercedes owners drive with stripped oil filter cap?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.