post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1999 E320 Remote Fob and valet key: Help

Hi:

Originally I had two working remotes and a flat valet key for a 99 E320. Valet key is lost. One remote no longer works or starts the car so I'm down to one remote that starts the car. The remote that does not work still has its metal key blade so I can use that as a backup for opening doors manually. The remotes are the ones with 3 buttons and a red blinking light.

The issue:

The dealer is driving me nuts as I am trying to order either an additional remote Fob to open doors and start car or just a valet key. They have quoted part numbers but I have no faith in what they are telling me - i.e. the part descriptions do not match what I need and everyone is giving me a different story.

1) Will a valet key start the car?

2) Is there a limited number of starts if one uses the vale key (this is what the dealer is telling me)? They don't call it a valet key, they are calling it an emergency key.

3) I am in Canada - they are quoting part number "Key insert 208-766-17-06" for the valet key (at $77 plus tax). Can someone confirm this is indeed the correct part number for the flat valet key that I require?

4) Is there an on-line source for double checking part numbers against the dealer order codes with pics of the item?

5) If I order the remote ($266 plus tax) without the blade, can I assume that I can slide the old blade into the new remote and that the remote will be exactly like my old one dating back to 1999?

I have heard that you have to go through the dealer for these things as everything is programed by them.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 11:35 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
The emergency key is the more appropriate description as the flat key has to be given with blade, so no way to lock the trunk and GC when leaving the car with valet.
Remote does not start the car, but valet key does.
Don't recall anybody buying emergency key lately, so don't know the price and I don't care about part number as this is dealer only item and dealer finds it by VIN.
The new chrome keys cost $180-250 in US although some dealer are trying to gouge higher prices.
I think you should find a dealer who knows something about those cars.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 01:08 AM
DrX
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2003 A160
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
You can send your dead remote key to forum member drkknght who can resurrect it for around $100. He has an ad on eBay.

Your key's circuit board may have failed, but the ROM chip is practically bulletproof and he can transplant it onto a new circuit board to give a fully-functioning remote key that starts your car.

Search on his posts for details.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 08:40 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
1) Yes it will but the reason some people call it a valet key is you can lock your glove compartment with the metal key insert (trunk is already locked) and then a valet can park and retrieve your car having no access to those 2 places.

2) I don't think there is a limit for the emergency key.

3) I don't know how to validate that part number.

4) MB electronic parts catalog, commonly called the EPC here. US residents can subscribe for free but I don't know about Canadians.

5) I don't think so. I was told only the new style chrome key is the only replacement key now available. When I ordered my chrome key, the blade was included and also the first set of batteries.

That said, I would contact drkknight, he has had a lot of positive feedback on here.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 01:59 PM
DrX
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2003 A160
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Here is drkknght's eBay ad: mbkeyfobs on eBay

He can fix your old key with a money-back guarantee, so you can't lose. Plus he offers a discount to BenzWorld members.

Outside the US, the best online EPC is MBpartsworld.com, courtesy of MB of South Atlanta. You can look up part numbers, check validity with your car, and examine diagrams.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2005
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up

Great advice from all of you. Thanks for the detailed answers, the referrral for repair and the reference for parts.

Excellent!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in