post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Mar 2013
Vehicle: 2009 C220cdi sport estate with no options
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Touring: Loch Lomond, West Perthshire and the Trossachs

The weather of the last two days has been fabulous. Those of you that know me on facebook will know I was off work today, touring. I had finished work 4pm Yesterday and decided to make an evening tour, that turned into a night in the car and a morning tour. C class estates are habitable!!!!

I left Glasgow smartly, and keep a change of clothes in the car and got straight onto the tour. My first port of call was an old photographic haunt of mine at the Inverglus power station just off the A82. Certain members will know I snap this view a lot, heres yesterdays take on the scene

DSC_0253 by, on Flickr

The warm weather was glorious and I had the windows down in my C class and wished the previous owner had been kind enough to tick the "sun roof box". It was over 20c...

At this stage, I was unsure of the direction the tour was going to take but had an idea of heading up over Rannoch Moor and onto through Glen Coe, and then I thought, wouldn't it be fun to see Rannoch Moor, but from the other side of the Moor. There isn't a direct crossing, and the West Highland line disects the two routes, but this is my leasure time, and in that leasure time, I don't do trains....

A plan had therefore formed to head East into Perthshire, over the Kinloch Rannoch and then back over to Rannoch station which is as far east as the road network goes....

But there is a twist, I fancied tackling the Ben Lawers road, its sort of on the way as its just off the A827 which you need to take to Kenmore, then turn off and head to Coshiville if you want to go to Kinloch Rannoch, but plans are for wimps and I like just to go where I like to go at the time. Its a Mercedes, its made for just "driving".

The Ben Lawers road is a good 'un, steep, narrow and bumpy with twists, the sort of road that makes a W204 shine...

_DSC0669 by, on Flickr

Further up the road there is a treat I did not know about, you see tours always unearth another little gem to revisit under better weather. Like a C class estate Scotland keeps you coming back for more, and more, and more....

Look, a hydro Dam

_DSC0671 by, on Flickr

A lot of Scotlands electricity is produced in this way, you know, with the rain and the hills it sort of is idea for renewable energy. Sadly, the C class estate burns diesel, and although at a parcimonous rate, the last time I went up to Perthshire, it ran out. (or I willfully played a game of fuel light chicken and lost half a mile from a petrol station)....

Glen Lawyers is a really bleak part of the world. Time was getting on, and I was NO WHERE near Loch Rannoch, and wasn't making sundown over at the east point of the Moor or even on Loch Rannoch itself....

_DSC0678 by, on Flickr

As the crow flies its not terribly far, but a road network with other traffic like rogue deer, sheep, pheasants all playing for who can jump out at you first, its not that quick to get there by car. The road network tends to lead away from the remote places like Rannoch station, not too it....

The last of the sun appeared Nr Fortingal and really, I missed the boat, so found someplace quiet to park, stopped and kipped....(well I was on early starts at 530am so was due a rest)

_DSC0697 by, on Flickr

Good morning....

_DSC0725 by, on Flickr

Lets the air out eh....

On to where I should have gone the night before. Loch Rannoch, isn't it Glorious...

_DSC0724 by, on Flickr

Loch Rannoch is the first place I took this car when I got it, its poetic we are back in the summer again. Its where Perthshire meets west coast, and by the end of the Loch, you gain a typical west coast look as you bear down on Rannoch station which sits one station above Bridge of Orchy, which station you can access from the A82. By train between Rannoch and Bridge of Orchy, theres less than 20mins in the journey time, by car, its probably 90mins...

See what I mean by the scenery, reminds of me of Glen Etive...

_DSC0739 by, on Flickr

Here really puts it on the map. Remember what I said about Kinloch Rannoch being Perthsire, well 20miles or so later, and look...

_DSC0746 by, on Flickr

Glencoe 12 miles. Maybe I will come back here and take do the walk, 12 miles walking, and by road, maybe over 100 miles round. I wish they built a road connecting the west route A82 over with Perthshire. Would make tours a lot more easy...LOL....

So...its the long way back for me...

Back down at Tummel Bridge, another hydro station of amazing architecture

_DSC0778 (1) by, on Flickr

And then a straight loupe back to Loch Tay and I thought, yipee, fry me and egg and bacon. Check the light...

This is RIGHT by the road, park up, 10 secs over a fence and there you have it...

_DSC0784 by, on Flickr

You see, I am not kidding you on....

_DSC0799 by, on Flickr

It was such a warm day, I had to eat the chocolate reserve in the car quickly in case it melted, and drove down at a gentle place down Loch tay, taking in the views and now the shocks are not a bit past it, enjoyed the feeling the car was more floaty than yesteryear, or maybe I have got used to a ride quality that does err on firm...I don't know, the point was I was taking my time and having fun....

I would recommend at the end of the A827 to take a left and head down by the Trossachs, Strathyre etc and down Glen Ogle, great road and sorry, I was enjoying this one a bit too much so no photos until Callender

_DSC0804 by, on Flickr

Well above combined and since the fuel incident, I am aware the guage on those is pretty accurate, it did the 149 miles...on under 1/4. Not bad for a 65 litre sized tank

DSC_0255 by, on Flickr

Current Merc: 2009 C220cdi sport estate
Prev Merc: 2005 E320cdi sport
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: