BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: May 2013
Vehicle: 1969 Uimog 404 Doka
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
404 Doka shifting concerns

Hello fellow "Unimog-ers"!

I am as new to this forum as I am to my relatively recently acquired '69 Doka. I purchased this truck from a gentleman in WA who, for lack of time and energy, was a little less than forthcoming about the current "health" of his mog. Nevertheless, I had (have) 'Mog fever and purchased his Doka with best intentions.

Let me first say that I know (knew) very little about being a mechanic until I bought this truck. For mostly better, and some worse, this carpenter was forced to learn to be a mechanic, as my mog needed some help.

I successfully tackled all of the electrical issues, by completely re-wiring the entire truck. I even managed to tackle the rear brakes and parking cables (kindergarten , I suppose for any mechanic with the right tools). I got it up and running well, and all was fine- then suddenly, I can't shift into 3rd and 4th.

I have a squealing TOB (as I've researched) but don't know how to address shifting issues? I found a video tutorial about greasing the TOB, and am willing to attempt that, but should I suspect or be cautious about anything else? It was running and shifting just as fine as a 404 can, from what I hear, but then- nothing. Just a stubborn stick and dead in the water...

I have not run the truck for any time longer than about 1/2 hour, going to/from local stores, so I don't suspect any overheating tranny issues. I am just baffled about why it would go from shifting just fine, albeit I squeaky TOB, to nothing. I can go into 5th & 6th, but can't get started in 3rd or get into 4th at all...

Any friendly advice from anyone who has suffered similar problems? Again, I apologize for not being truly "mechanic savvy" but I hope to explain my situation as best as possible and welcome any "layman" (read "carpenter") advice!

Thank you, Erik
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 08:41 AM
Outstanding Contributor
Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Welcome to Benzworld.

"I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a friend, if you have one."
- George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: