st4
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2013
Vehicle: 2009 C220cdi sport estate with no options
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Touring: Loch Lomond West

Its been highly irritating, I've been off work for a week on holiday hoping that mid may would yield good weather for a tour. Continuous rain, hail and grey skies all over the UK have put the idea of a tour on ice, literally.

Until yesterday evening. The sun picked up, I had a freshly serviced and detailed C220cdi and two eager Nikons awaiting a small tour. Sun down doesn't happen to approx 9pm so I thought a small tour and foray around Loch Lomond and the area would be just the ticket, then a sunset over in Cove.

The first thing to do was to drive over to Luss and have a foray around. The main route (A82) does go pretty close to the Loch, but the old road before they blasted the rock faces away goes a lot closer. Here is a typical view from it

_DSC0622 by stephentaylor4@hotmail.com, on Flickr

See what I mean about being clean and silver really being the best colour for one of those

_DSC0632 by stephentaylor4@hotmail.com, on Flickr

Collinite 915 Wax, Autoglym shampoo and wonder wheels for the alloys and it looks as good as new. Also repels dirt too. The sun is still strong in the evening and the window tints help keep my cabin cool, this is a biggie with black headling and all black interior, but it looks so good driving in it.

Our very own Gordon Kinghorn has toured up the A82 and will attest to being able to see Ben Lomond clearly from the car, as the new road actually runs lower than the older route at this point

_DSC0637 by stephentaylor4@hotmail.com, on Flickr

By Luss, the evening light was in full flow and you can get this view pretty much from the road

DSC_0228 by stephentaylor4@hotmail.com, on Flickr

As the road leaves Tarbert and down the poor section of the A82 look out your window before the sharp left bend just past the NSL

DSC_0227 by stephentaylor4@hotmail.com, on Flickr

You get a wonderful clear view down Scotlands largest Loch. The road is a pretty fun one actually if you know it, terrifying if you don't as it makes 50mph seem fast. It is in dire need of upgrading/resurfacing as its the severe scarring that makes driving along it tricky. Especially in what is a very firmly set up car.

Can you guess where I have stopped.

Just short of Inverglus

_DSC0647 by stephentaylor4@hotmail.com, on Flickr

The weather was not as good as it was further down the Loch. West Coast Scotland has its own unique weather and it can change in not a short area/space of time, it just wasn't as good up here so decided to turn back and aim for cove for sunset.

I had rather lofty ideas of continuing up Glen Coe and stopping at Loch Ba at this point. With a car like a C class sport and roads like this, you just want to keep going and going. Particularly if you don't have work for another day.

Perhaps its this I like about the Mercedes the most, the comfort and pleasure it gives you as a drive to keep pressing on and on....

Evening and morning light is the best for photography. I had wished there had been no wind as you get lovely reflections up this part of Loch Lomond...as it were

_DSC0652 by stephentaylor4@hotmail.com, on Flickr

DSC_0242 by stephentaylor4@hotmail.com, on Flickr

I aimed back and headed over Glen Douglas, the idea was to connect with the A814 that me and my mates know as "the bendy beast". Its not really that bendy, but the bumps are very severe and you can get airborne if you go the NSL along it. The dampning characteristics of the C sport meant the car never bottomed out, but it came damn close.

At the end of the day, the C class is not a rally car, which really is what you need to really lick along a road like this. Its too bumpy and pressing on you can be thrown around in your seat, the cars ESP will activate soon as it detects a lot of lift and its all rather silly but fun....

Glen Douglas was another car killer, the potholes and bump sections make it so. But they've resurfaced it and check the views you get of Loch Lomond and the finest car money can buy...

_DSC0659 by stephentaylor4@hotmail.com, on Flickr

Look at the bumps

_DSC0661 by stephentaylor4@hotmail.com, on Flickr

Nothing in comparison to the wider A814.

Current Merc: 2009 C220cdi sport estate
Prev Merc: 2005 E320cdi sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 09:01 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 1988 560SL 71000mi, 2015 S550 4Matic
Thank you for the great pics! Looks a bit bleak.
Michael in Arizona (USA)

1988 Signal Red 560SL
2015 S550 4Matic Ruby Black/Beige
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
st4
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrayaz View Post
Thank you for the great pics! Looks a bit bleak.
Michael in Arizona (USA)
Its not as bleak as Scotland can get, and a lot colder than Arizona.

Scotland probably has a climate closer to Canada than any US states. Even Illinois records higher summer temps than we do.

But it is lovely and been on holiday for a week with only one clear evening with good enough weather that makes you want to drive just for the fun of it

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 11:15 AM

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 90 300E, 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Those a are stunning pics once again.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
st4
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
Those a are stunning pics once again.
Thanks pal.

Nothing quite like seeing it, and driving amongst it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in