post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Apr 2013
Vehicle: 1991 Mercedes Benz 560SEL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1991 560SEL general maintenance

Recently purchased a beautiful 91 at Blue Book value, hoping to maintain and drive this vehicle for many years to come! I have moderate mechanic capabilities but am less familiar with european vehicles. After doing a little research it's become apparent that I will need to invest the time and money to replace the timing chain. Are there any other critical issues I should be looking for on this 22 year old beauty? Recently replaced valve cover gaskets and tightened many loose bolts underneath to stop or at least slow the oil leak. Power steering system is sound but there is a lot of groaning when turning the wheel, any way to remedy this? The RPM gauge does not move, the extending antenna in the back will not go all the way down. The driver side rear door lock will go down but not up. I believe the starter is failing, often times it takes two tries to start her up in the morning and also occasoinally dies immiediately after backing out of the parking space but she'll start up again and drives fine after that. I think the temperature plays into the performance of this old vehicle quite a bit. Sometimes when going down the road the acceleration is jumpy at first, this may be due to blocked or failing fuel injectors?

The suspension is a whole other story itself, and I may eventually create a new thread devoted specifically to it. This model has a complicated Hydroneumatic self-leveling rear suspension system. Not in terrible shape as of now but something definitely needs to be tweaked to lessen the bounciness of the ride. Previous under suggested front shocks and he may be right considering I experience much of the bouncing when driving. I have my fingers crossed that no major components of the rear system will need replacing, however, there surely must be some required upkeep in relation to the hydraulic fluid. Where is the fill line on the fluid reservoir? Does the system need to flushed and replaced with all new fluid?
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 01:36 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Try posting on the w126 forum. It is the one specific to your chassis. Lots of information there. A search can help too.

Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: