post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2005 E320 CDI

Hello all,

I am new to the forum and been reading and searching for as much info as i can get for the 2005 CDI.

I am in need of a new car and i always wanted to own a mercedes and a diesel as well. I have my eyes on a 2005 CDI with low mileage.

I am wondering if a prerequisite in order for me to go forward and make the deal would be to make sure all the recalls have been done on the car...i.e brakes, leaks, etc. Also i plan to have an inspection done but the car is out of state. If only regular maintaince has been done should that be a warning?

What else would you look for beside what stated above?

Thanks for reading and for your input.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by G-Lo100; 04-08-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 04:16 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum. I consider that engine technological marvel of last generation.
If you read about SBC brakes - they have 10 years warranty.
The only weak point I know on those engines are injector seals. Small 70 cents parts that can cost lot of mess when they fail.
Read more in W211 section.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
Welcome to the forum. I consider that engine technological marvel of last generation.
If you read about SBC brakes - they have 10 years warranty.
The only weak point I know on those engines are injector seals. Small 70 cents parts that can cost lot of mess when they fail.
Read more in W211 section.
Thanks for your reply.

Yes, brakes are what worry me the most. I guess my question is, is there something I can do with them before the warranty on them expire?

And I would assume there is nothing I can do about the seals?

Sorry if I sound ignorant about it, but I'm learning as I go along. I would like to be prepared as much as I can before I go for it.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 04:41 PM
BenzWorld Elite

I know about 2 problems with SBC brakes:
1. Unsecured plug on brake pump that was subject to the recall
2. idiot mechanics who work on new technology not even checking what they are dealing with.
The 1st should be done already on the car, while you can educate yourself about the 2nd.
About the seals - inspect the car carefully under the top cover as is a leak was neglected - you can find pretty mess out there.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
I know about 2 problems with SBC brakes:
1. Unsecured plug on brake pump that was subject to the recall
2. idiot mechanics who work on new technology not even checking what they are dealing with.
The 1st should be done already on the car, while you can educate yourself about the 2nd.
About the seals - inspect the car carefully under the top cover as is a leak was neglected - you can find pretty mess out there.
Thank you Kajtek1.

I will have to rely on MB inspection before I would purchase it. I really would like to do it. Hopefully it will work out.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 07:07 PM
BenzWorld Elite

I would not relay even on $300 dealers inspection when it comes to the top of the engine.
In old days the first thing to check on used car was compression check as this indicate the best engine condition. On modern cars doing compression test is big job and the engine last long time, so risk of wear out engine is pretty low, so nobody does it anymore.
But blowby check takes few seconds and I have never see this on car inspection report.
Bear in mind that Mercedes is very reliable brand, but once you go into repairs, the Benjamins fly very fast.
Think $700 injectors.... a piece. ... times 6

Last edited by Kajtek1; 04-08-2013 at 07:09 PM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
I would not relay even on $300 dealers inspection when it comes to the top of the engine.
In old days the first thing to check on used car was compression check as this indicate the best engine condition. On modern cars doing compression test is big job and the engine last long time, so risk of wear out engine is pretty low, so nobody does it anymore.
But blowby check takes few seconds and I have never see this on car inspection report.
Bear in mind that Mercedes is very reliable brand, but once you go into repairs, the Benjamins fly very fast.
Think $700 injectors.... a piece. ... times 6
Thanks for the helpful advice. My understanding the blowby test would tell me if there are gases escaping the seals, is that correct?

Do you know the best way to perform the test?

If I go ahead with the purchase, the car will probably be out of State. I'm trying to stick with areas that have no salt and snow. However I do live in the Northeast, hopefully it will perform ok. I'm thinking I might have no choice and make the trip to go personally see the car. However i believe I would still like to invest some $ on a third party inspection.

As a side note, there is another one for sale closer to me, and it's a 2007 Bluetec with about 50K miles. I have read the different opinions regarding the I6 engine, and the V6, but what it's keeping me away from the Bluetec is the DPF filter that eventually will need to be replaced. But i do like the fact that the 07 has no Adblue. (sic) and different brake system.

Last edited by G-Lo100; 04-08-2013 at 08:09 PM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 08:57 PM
BenzWorld Elite

The first years of Bluetec had lower performance per my memory.
Minimal differences, so not worth making long trip to pick up one over the other. Again, go to W211 section where members are driving those models. I sold my 2005 E320cdi for economical reasons and don't have direct comparison now.
Are you aware that some of them come with folding rear seats? That option would be worth a lot to me.
Nothing like stuck few 2x4 inside luxury sedan.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
qThat is certainly a nice feature for sure. I might go see the 07 bluetec as its only 45 mins away. Its really in mint condition. It does look like has been taking care of and the carfax is clean. Guy is asking 24k which i think is a bit overpriced. Thanks again for your input.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 02:00 AM

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 90 300E, 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Actually the diesels hold more value, for 50k miles if it has some options that price is not really out of line and I am pretty sure you can haggle a couple of grand off the price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in