post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Sep 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
G Wagen Turn signal Problem

Hey Everyone,
I have a 1995 G320 that I have decided to change the amber turn signals on the front to clear. As easy as it may seem, the bulbs were different, so I replaced the whole housing. the old system had a green wire (assuming ground) and two black wires coming to the signal. The green wire has a female plug while the two black wires went into the bulb assembly and could not be taken out. Therefore, I cut them with wire cutters.
I take the wheel well housing off, take off the whole light assembly and put the new one on. However, the new assembly only has two male plugs to put wires on...one for the green and another. After doing some testing, I found out that when I put the two black wires together, crimp them with a connector, both signals come on (like hazard lights do). If I just put one black wire, it doesn't work. when I plug both lights in with both black wires connected and plugged in, the Euro side blinker lights come on, the side running lights come on, and both blinker lights come on but dont blink....it's steady. Now knowing Mercedes Benz, there might have been a harness adapter to make it all work, and quite frankly, wouldn't be suprised. OR maybe Im not hooking this up right. Can anyone give me a hand with this before I go to the dealer and have them empty my wallet?
SECONDLY, the side turn signal bulbs are a easy change! I changed them from amber to clear as well, but thought one of my bulbs was burnt out hence the reconfig to newer look. Unfortunately, it wasnt burnt out....the bulb went came out of the housing and I can see it blinking when I put on the hazard lights. I tried using a grabber, only for the fuse to blow on me 5 times now, I tried double sided tape, but couldnt see what I was doing since the hole Im looking into is an inch in diameter? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get this sucker out? Mind you...the area is sealed off from the front and from the door. However, the fuse panel is right behind the knee bolster on the passenger side. but refuse to get in from that way...thoughts on either would be most appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Sep 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Okay, so I have an update for everyone on this topic, $800 later from the MB dealer. Okay, so, the side marker blinker was fished out by taking the knee bolster down and exposing the fuse panel. The fuse panel was then removed or moved out of the way and then, the blinker was retrieved.
Lastly, after spending $400 in labor alone on this wiring deal with the turn signals, the verdict was this: The two black wires that were going into the turn signal housing were intended for a double filament bulb! The new setup was designed for a single filament bulb. SO, what the dealer did was retrofitted a new housing on there so that I could still use a double filament bulb instead of a single filament bulb.makes sense..... Done deal.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in