post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Apr 2013
Vehicle: 2002 S320 CDI (W220)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Post New UK member saying Hi S320CDI

Hi all, I live in the south of the uk and have been using these forums for a while now. I purchased an old S Class about 18 Months ago and I have had all of the typical issues with this model.
Despite this I really like this car, it's comfortable economical (50 MPG on a run) and in general very suited to a home mechanic like myself as I love to fix things (Just as well really).

A quick history to date with the car.
Purchased Oct 2011 for under 4K
The car was gone on the test drive but had some surface rust around he wheel arches which I believe is fairly typical on these. Aloof he electronics worked even the sat nav ( a very old disk though).

After about a month I started having trouble starting the car and it started stopping. Then a complete breakdown I went to a local independent and got the car diagnosed with no indicated issues. I no longer use that independent as they were expensive and tried to rip me off later. This was all repaired by John Haynes a great independant that I now use when ever I need them. They had to replace a faulty ignition switch as well as repair the high pressure fuel pump they also advised on some injector issues.

Great so far hen I got the Black Death which is pretty easy to sort I have got he injector seal work down to about a half hour now and have made up a seal seat cleaning tool.
Then the suspension started to leak. I think mercedes were a bi daft using epoxy to seal the front struts but I have now replaced both upper seals. I made my own press for this and may post on this later. These are really easy with the right tools taking well under an hour each.

The suspension pump also failed I did strip and replace the burned out brush but later fitted a replacement as a precaution I also changed the relays for this.

The alternator then failed, it's not great so suddenly have no lights at 60 on a uk country lane I had a big moment and its a challenge to replace but ok once you work it out.

Then I had the passenger seat sensor failure I got the part for about £110 from my independant ( they also cleared the errors free of charge). This is a daunting but really simple job it's great to have car now with no errors.

I do all my own servicing and maintenance on the car and I am trying to sort the paintwork but the rust just keeps coming bak in places so any on who has a cure for his I would love to hear it.

Anyway I have about 30k miles under my belt with this car now and as I said I love the comfort and presence on the road.

So yes I am a newbe but I do have some experience.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 11:50 PM
Outstanding Contributor
Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Welcome to Benzworld.

"I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a friend, if you have one."
- George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: