post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Apr 2013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I'm here, is anyone near?

Hello,
I am the proud new owner of a 1985 Mercedes 300td wagon. (Pictures to follow) Totally in love with this car, and plan on doing whatever I can to keep it running for it's next 200k. It has been garage kept and solely old lady owned, first one for 23-24 years, then the second for 4-5 years. I will forever be grateful for their preservation of my new companion. I purchased the car after deciding this was what I wanted to convert to running on wvo. Within a week of purchasing the car I have installed a greasecar kit. Ideally I would have given it some time to figure out the overall condition and any quirks. However, things lined up perfectly to get it done and I decided to trust the universe and go ahead with it. I am only slightly mechanically inclined, but willing to learn and be patient with the process. I hope to be able to take care of minor maintenance and repairs on my own, and will have a budget for anything ranging drastically out of my league. I have a good mechanic with a background of working on large diesel engines, but no experience with mercedes. He charges very little for labor and prefers I source my own parts.

I have a few concerns off of the bat, any direction or insight would be greatly appreciated.

On the several hour drive to get help installing the kit from a resource I met through researching wvo systems online. The car went from driving like it was brand new, to feeling like I was sitting in one of those carnival massage chairs while slowing down through a town. Usually when I am cruising down the road it is very smooth, but when I am idling or at lower rpms or in the morning, it is idling rough and very shaky. Not so much small vibrations, but large washing machine sort of shaking. Most of the time but not all the time, giving it a little gas seems to resolve the shaking.

While priming the wvo fuel lines, the manual primer pump would leak around the bottom as it is being compressed. I am ordering a new on of these tonight. My friend says this is not normal and a bad primer can be the only source of the leak.

The engine is not slow to shut off, but I did notice the door locks were a bit slow to go down when I first brought it home. I have noticed this to get worse over the past week, and I have even had a couple times that I had to start the car to get it to unlock all of the doors. I'm not sure if it could be related but the clock with hands on the dash also seems to be slowing. I know that the vacuum system does some funny things with there is a problem. I bought a vacuum hand pump tester from harbor freight tools. Does anyone know if this one is as good as the Mightyvac?

Thanks for reading and any advice, I look forward to being part of the forum
Zack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Apr 2013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Some pics

At pick up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	benz.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	506866   Click image for larger version

Name:	bnz2.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	506867   Click image for larger version

Name:	benz3.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	506868  
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 12:42 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Welcome to Benzworld.

ERIC.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in