Panicked about bluetec purchase today!! Please weigh in - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks!! I drove the gas and diesel version back to back and you are right-it DOES feel like a V8 and felt more sporty than the sport. The salesman and I both agreed. To anyone considering and reading try it because the name "sport" can be deceiving and this one has the sport appearance package.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 04:06 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 2000 C280, 2006 E350, 1993 400E, 2007 SLK55 AMG, 1994 S500, 2008 E320 Bluetec
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to in2dwww
I just bought a W211 2008 bluetec last month. If I could do it over again, I would do it over, and over, and over, and over.....

The V-6 diesels are simply staggering. I'm not pussy-footing around and I get 31mpg on the highway during my morning commute... 36mpg when I care to try. I heard the 2014 bluetec diesels in the US (E250) will be 4 cylinders with less torque, so grab the v6 bluetec while you can!

You also scored with the P2 package.

The moment you depend on technology is the moment it lets you down. - IN2DWWW

Last edited by in2dwww; 04-02-2013 at 04:10 PM.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks and I agree about the new ones. I dont know the specifics about what manufacturers are required to do in terms of mileage and emissions by 2015 but it IS changing cars. I thought the SAME thing you are suggesting. My analogy is that it could be like wishing you had the "old generation" toilets before they limited water or the shower heads!! I feel we are doing more than our part with the diesel purchase and wish they were keeping the bigger engines. BMW changed theirs as well and my car I am trading is twice the car of the loan they gave me this week. The start stop feature will drive you mad in city driving!
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 08:41 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
That happens when government takes over your life. I escaped communism to live free, only to discover that in California my life is regulated in almost any aspect.
Lately on my new house I installed very nice LED lights, that not only give good effects, but I have whole property bright with 100 W of power draw.
The county inspector told me that those will not pass the inspection as code require fluorescent and CL approved lights in some areas, or motion detector lights up front.
Beware of buying government dis-approved toilet paper
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
It is truly frightening in so many ways! I am a realtor in Nashville and I have several clients in the entertainment industry buying homes in Nashville because we don't have a state income tax and residing in both states. Hate to be negative but the legislation and taxes to pay for administration is one thing-bankrupting people and states but controlling your home lighting borders on funny! I am a rule follower for sure but the system in place simply does not allow for effective legislation of so many things. SO much money made in Texas with oil prices last year alone. Big business, oil and gas and the politicians can duke it all out and cut their deals. We can have fun talking cars!! I see more pretty late model mercedes being sold online in Texas on the online car sites.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 03:40 AM
st4
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 2009 C220cdi sport estate with no options
Quote:
Originally Posted by in2dwww View Post
I just bought a W211 2008 bluetec last month. If I could do it over again, I would do it over, and over, and over, and over.....

The V-6 diesels are simply staggering. I'm not pussy-footing around and I get 31mpg on the highway during my morning commute... 36mpg when I care to try. I heard the 2014 bluetec diesels in the US (E250) will be 4 cylinders with less torque, so grab the v6 bluetec while you can!

You also scored with the P2 package.
They perform very well but the newer 4 cylinder engines offer similar power and even better economy. Refinement isn't quite as good.

Current Merc: 2009 C220cdi sport estate
Prev Merc: 2005 E320cdi sport
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
I think the styling looks exciting and I am anxious to see it. The Tesla is getting good tv time this morning. Big changes is seems in the industry as a whole and that alone is exciting to watch is you love cars.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 07:06 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 2000 C280, 2006 E350, 1993 400E, 2007 SLK55 AMG, 1994 S500, 2008 E320 Bluetec
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to in2dwww
Quote:
Originally Posted by st4 View Post
They perform very well but the newer 4 cylinder engines offer similar power and even better economy. Refinement isn't quite as good.
I really like the look of the upcoming e-class refresh. But if I want a 4-pot diesel, I'd go back to a silly VW TDI. I chose the merc because they know diesel, they know luxury, and I think even the w123 model with 300,000+ miles still hold value.

The v8 diesel e and s-class models were never sold in the states. We have very few choices here when it comes to diesel cars. In 5 years, when all the new models are 4-pot with auto stop this and anti that, we'll look back and realize how good we had it... and the good times are now in terms of powerful diesels. Efficient diesels may be the future, but I'll take the 400+ torques over $10/tank savings.

If MB is wise, they will offer us two favors of diesel motors on the refreshed e-class. I think they are shooting themselves in the foot by thinking they can pawn us off with a 4-pot and sell that to "conscious" buyers.

The moment you depend on technology is the moment it lets you down. - IN2DWWW
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Good point! Choices are always nice!
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 10:20 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
You are overlooking the fact that new 4-bangers outperform older 6-cylinders and sometimes by far.
The W123 with 3l diesel had 83 or so HP. the turbo version has 112 HP. For heavy car that make them a hog, yet as mentioned they hold (some) value. I just sold W124 diesel and took long time to get 5% of new car price for mechanically perfect car, so we might have different opinions what "holds the value" means.
In California performance cars are useless. Maybe in the city you use the acceleration for passing, but we do 99.9% highway/freeway driving, when seldom we use more than 50% of the 174 HP our diesels have and per my direct experience 112HP is critical point for sedan to climb the hills we have without changing the gears and reving high, like my family Toyotas have to do all the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in