BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
tyre type and pressures

Hi All
Just got myself a 1996 W124, E220.

Had a query about tyre pressures. Unfortunately my car has come with 16 inch wheels as opposed to the 15inch stock trim. Apart from this the front and rear wheel profiles are different. The front is a 205/55 R16 and the rears are 205/60 R16.
Does this pose a problem? Besides this, what should be the tyre pressure i should be using? same for all tyres or should they be different.

As of now, i find the ride a bit stiff as i am running 31 psi in all 4 tyres.

Please advice.

thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 03:39 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
You should have original tire pressure listed on the fuel door, or on driver door pillar. For different tire height, you still use the same pressure unless the tire manufacturer advise otherwise. I believe you car originally had 195 wide tires, so with 205 you could go with slightly lower pressure for comfort, but than higher pressure gives better fuel economy and usually better tire wear.
Is your car ABS equipped? If yes, different tire diameters can create some issue, but you would notice that by now.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
You should have original tire pressure listed on the fuel door, or on driver door pillar. For different tire height, you still use the same pressure unless the tire manufacturer advise otherwise. I believe you car originally had 195 wide tires, so with 205 you could go with slightly lower pressure for comfort, but than higher pressure gives better fuel economy and usually better tire wear.
Is your car ABS equipped? If yes, different tire diameters can create some issue, but you would notice that by now.
Hi Kajtek
Yes, my car has ABS.
This is my first merc, well, first car really.. so i am not sure i have a proper bench mark to judge against hence i would not know. But i did think the car was a bit stiffly wound. The ride is smooth and on braking hard, she does not pull to any side.
However, there might be stuff that i wont notice off hand while driving but will be slowly manifesting over a period of time. Hence wanted to know if its safe.

The petrol cap says 34 and 36, which i think is way too much. At 31 i find it fairly "filled" up and think i can go down a notch. Or am i getting this wrong?
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 09:32 AM
BenzWorld Elite

When pumping the tires higher brings benefit of better economy, having them low brings no benefits. The car might seem smoother on straight driving, but will give the floating feeling on cornering, what can be actually danger.
If you don't have ABS acting on braking and Cruise Control works, that would indicate the car is taking different tires on the axles just fine. Just make sure you don't cross them to have different tires on the same axle, as this will affect handling.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
When pumping the tires higher brings benefit of better economy, having them low brings no benefits. The car might seem smoother on straight driving, but will give the floating feeling on cornering, what can be actually danger.
If you don't have ABS acting on braking and Cruise Control works, that would indicate the car is taking different tires on the axles just fine. Just make sure you don't cross them to have different tires on the same axle, as this will affect handling.
HI Kajtek,
My car doesnt have cruise control, but the ABS works just fine.
My worry is will the different profiles of the tyres cause any undue stress on the axle, stance of the car?

I did some reading up. Apparently for light weight driving (2-3 ppl in car) one should use 2 bar ( 29 PSI) in all tyres. But thats for the stock set up.
Wondering if it shud be the same for these.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 01:18 PM

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 90 300E, 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 922 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Tires have changed a lot since that car was built.
Follow the tire makers pressures stamped on the sidewall of the tire for the most safety.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 02:52 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Tires did change in last generation a lot, but law of physics did not.
The given size tire still needs the same pressure to deliver optimal contact with pavement.
I have tires on my truck that allow 90 psi max, yet in normal, empty driving have them at 45 psi. For beach driving had to drop the pressure to 20-25 psi, but that is extreme.
Don't worry about axles stress. They are usually the last to fail, facing 6 times car weight in some bumpy driving.
The only issue you are facing having different tires on different axles (not necessary different by the size) is affecting factory over or understeer.
Still not something average owner will ever notice, unless you take the car to race track.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in