LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Nov 2012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1987 190e 2.3-16 will not start!

I have a 1987 Mercedes 190e 2.3-16, manual transmission. I bought it four months ago as a project car. The person I bought it from owned it for three years. He also bought it as a project car but no longer had the time or funds to work on it. I have service records leading up until 2005 so the car has been in its current non running state for a while. Up until 2005 the car has always been serviced at the dealership and was well maintained for. It was a California car for 18 years, originally purchased in Idaho. The interior and exterior look mint so the car was obviously cared for.

What we have accomplished so far:
We replaced the spark plugs, fuel injectors, OVP relay, fuel distributor, airflow meter assembly. Before replacing the airflow meter assembly and fuel distributor, fuel would pool up in the intake manifold. We would crank the engine and then have to remove the airflow meter assembly to siphon the gasoline out of the intake manifold.

OVP test. I had an original OVP relay and one pulled off of a 300e in a junkyard. Original had 7 prongs and the one from the junkyard has 9. They are however compatible. Tested both with this test, yes I checked the fuses first. http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w124...tion-test.html found the original OVP was bad and the one from the junkyard was good. However,the junkyard one rattles... Could this mean it is bad despite it passing the test?

Fuel distributor test. We noticed when you cranked the car with the spark plugs out, cylinder 3 would emit a cloud of gasoline. We collected gasoline from each of the fuel lines in separate containers and cylinder three had significantly more gasoline. We replaced the fuel distributor with one off of a 2.3 8 valve and then repeated the test. All cylinders now have equal amount of fuel.

The new airflow meter assembly also came off of a normal 2.3. I noticed the top part of each airflow meter assembly was the same but the bottoms had slightly different shapes. I took the top of the new AFM and the bottom of the one.

What we are experiencing:
We have had crank-no-start during the past few months. After replacing all of the above, we still have crank no start. However, immediately after cranking, the engine combusts and stumbles but not much else. It does this for a few seconds (5-10) before simply cranking without major combustion or sputtering. We also attempted to push start the car. We got it up to about 15 mph and then dumped the clutch. The car didn't do too much. It fired long enough so you could briefly hear the exhaust note. We tried this several times and never got the car to sustain power.

We accomplished all we have via our knowledge, forum posts, and a shop manual. We are at the point where we do not know how to proceed. We suspect a few things but need some help. 1. Is there a way to test the cold start valve/injector? 2. Is there a way to properly adjust the air fuel mixture using the tower on airflow meter assembly? 3. The previous owner said there may be something wrong with the catalytic converter. Since it was a Cali car, are there extra emissions precautions that could be giving me issues? Since the car is more than 25, emissions do not matter so removing the cat and the entire emissions system is very possible.

Thank you for all suggestions and advice!
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: