LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Which is more whiter? Arctic or Diamond White

I am ordering a 2013 GL. The car goes into production in a few weeks. I was wondering if anyone can tell me which is whiter looking between Arctic white and Diamond white? Right now my order is for Arctic white but I can change the color still if i wanted to. I first thought arctic white was more whiter but some how when some of the pictures I see online between the two colors, the Diamond white seem more whiter. Please chime in your experience and knowledge on this two color. Thank you very much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 06:21 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jan 2013
Vehicle: '13 Lexus RX450h & On-order '14 SLK250
Lifetime Premium Member
Arctic White without a doubt is the "whitest" of the two.

I have a Diamond White Metallic SLK built and awaiting a ship for delivery. I spent a lot of time looking at the two colors in person on a dealer's lot in different lighting conditions. Online pictures will not be able to show you what is going on. Color chips in brochures look nearly the same (Diamond has a bit more gray perhaps), and most MBZ iOS apps I've stared at for hours don't even attempt to change the color between the two.

In real life, Diamond White has some gold, perhaps silver, metallic flakes that sparkle in the sun, yet looks almost matte -- an "off white" or "cream" (the color of milk, NOT tan) if you will -- in the shade. If you're worried about too much bling, the sparkle of the MBZ Diamond White is not as great as what most Lexus have in their standard metallic finishes, certainly not as much as I loved in one of my past pearl white rides. I did not see any noticable increase in orange peel with the Diamond White compared to Arctic White (unlike what I had on my previous BMW). Beyond the premium price uplift of Diamond White (at least on the SLK here in the US), when I read about this color across the net and people in multiple countries chiming in, the "off white" look is what some people didn't like compared to the traditional Arctic White. IMO, Arctic White is just "plain white" no matter what sort of light you view it in -- it's also a base color with no price uplift if that is a consideration.

According to DuPont, 24% of all NA cars were white last year -- the most popular color once again, so I'm excited to soon have Diamond White Metallic and be just a little different, with a bit of bling compared to most on the road. My suggestion? You need to see both colors in person. No online pictures or descriptions are going to do this subject justice. Good luck with your GL decision!

Present: '14 SLK250 (R172), '13 Lexus RX450h
Past: '06 Lexus RX400h; '09 BMW 335i (E93), '02 Lexus SC430, '99 RX300, '95 SC300, '91 Acura Legend ...and a few before that
Visit my personal website BertsPlace.net

Last edited by BertL; 03-18-2013 at 08:53 AM. Reason: spelling
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2013
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertL View Post
Arctic White without a doubt is the "whitest" of the two.

I have a Diamond White Metallic SLK built and awaiting a ship for delivery. I spent a lot of time looking at the two colors in person on a dealer's lot in different lighting conditions. Online pictures will not be able to show you what is going on. Color chips in brochures look nearly the same (Diamond has a bit more gray perhaps), and most MBZ iOS apps I've stared at for hours don't even attempt to change the color between the two.

In real life, Diamond White has some gold, perhaps silver, metallic flakes that sparkle in the sun, yet looks almost matte -- an "off white" or "cream" (the color of milk, NOT tan) if you will -- in the shade. If you're worried about too much bling, the sparkle of the MBZ Diamond White is not as great as what most Lexus have in their standard metallic finishes, certainly not as much as I loved in one of my past pearl white rides. I did not see any noticable increase in orange peel with the Diamond White compared to Arctic White (unlike what I had on my previous BMW). Beyond the premium price uplift of Diamond White (at least on the SLK here in the US), when I read about this color across the net and people in multiple countries chiming in, the "off white" look is what some people didn't like compared to the traditional Arctic White. IMO, Arctic White is just "plain white" no matter what sort of light you view it in -- it's also a base color with no price uplift if that is a consideration.

According to DuPont, 24% of all NA cars were white last year -- the most popular color once again, so I'm excited to soon have Diamond White Metallic and be just a little different, with a bit of bling compared to most on the road. My suggestion? You need to see both colors in person. No online pictures or descriptions are going to do this subject justice. Good luck with your GL decision!
Thank you so much for this very informative infos! I wanted to have a pure white look and the sale guy told me Arctic white is whiter than Diamond white. Some how when I look at both car even with it being side by side I couldn't really tell. Not sure if I'm color blind, lol. Thank you again for your chime in!
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 01:55 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 1988 560SL 71000mi, 2015 S550 4Matic
I have always favored the Diamond White. It is a bit pearlized and not so hard nor stark as Artic White.
Michael in Arizona

1988 Signal Red 560SL
2015 S550 4Matic Ruby Black/Beige

Last edited by xrayaz; 03-18-2013 at 01:56 PM. Reason: spelling
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 08:23 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
I always liked white colors and white was main reason why California dealer hold me for full year on delivery of ML320. Probably fact that I did not want any gadgets like sunroof or $4000 trip computer was another reason.
I did not own Diamond white, but you need to understand that it is not the color alone that you compare here, but totally different technology and spectrum.
While Arctic white is white paint and is white no matter the time of the day, Diamond is pearl or whatever else paint, that is having microscopic bodies inserted that make the color kaleidoscope changing with time of the day and light.
When pearl and metallic paints do have good look when maintained well, plain white paint is the most practical color IMHO not changing a lot with age and dirt accumulation.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 10:16 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2012
Vehicle: 2003 ML500, 2003 SL500, 2007 S600 Designo, 2016 E400
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
you said more whiter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in