Sport Grille Change on 2011 c300 (pics) - what did I do wrong? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Mar 2013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Sport Grille Change on 2011 c300 (pics) - what did I do wrong?

Hey all - first time MB owner - I got a good deal on a lightly used 2011 c300 4Matic after totaling my Lexus IS250 last month. Am enjoying my MB more than the Lexus - feels a lot classier, more comfortable, etc.

Question though - I just replaced the luxury grill and hood ornament with the sport grille and hood badge - the hood was a piece of cake, the grille was a little trickier. I wound up breaking the little black plastic "cover wing" that secures down the plastic panel - should be able to find that on eBay right? Everything else snapped in securely and I can take my time getting that done.

More importantly - I am seeing a "gap" between the hood and the top of the new sporte grille - especially on the left side of the hood (YOUR left when facing towards the car) check the before and after pics. There's no gap on the luxury grill but there is on the sports. Did I plug it in wrong or not tuck in the snaps properly? I have to admit I'm not very "handy" at it took me like 30 minutes (was supposed to take about 5). I thought I had them all snapped back in properly but it sure looks like something is preventing the left side of the hood from shutting completely.

BEFORE - LUXURY GRILL W/ UPDATED SPORTS BADGE

AFTER - SPORTS GRILLE (notice black "gap" on top of grill under hood. also notice non-tight closure??)
[IMG][/IMG]

AFTER - "GAP" in hood closure?

AFTER - Is it just me or is the "GAP" on this side not as bad as on the other side? Also how dope is my dog on a scale of 1-10? He's just chillin in his new Benz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 03:41 PM

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 90 300E, 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Is that a real OEM MB Grille from a dealer or a knock off from a third party website or eBay?
For safety's sake do not drive it until you put the old grille back in. You do not want that
hood coming up at 70mph.

Last edited by Noodles; 03-11-2013 at 03:43 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 03:52 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2007
Vehicle: 2000 E320, 2007 Land Rover LR3 HSE, 2008 E350
i like the new grille - very sporty!
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
Is that a real OEM MB Grille from a dealer or a knock off from a third party website or eBay?
For safety's sake do not drive it until you put the old grille back in. You do not want that
hood coming up at 70mph.
It's a real grille - came in legit box and is of same quality as original luxury grille. Hood is locked so no risk of it flying up - was just bummed that close isn't as flush for some reason :-/
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 04:11 PM

Lifetime Premium Member
Hmmm. I am at a loss. Did the same swap to AMG grilles on my ML and E500 and they fit well. Maybe having a body shop take a peek at it to see what might be wrong.

If you are indeed in MKE call Body Works at Concours and see if they will take a look at it for no charge. Ask for the manager.

If they give you any grief try calling Scott Nelson at MB of Elmbrook and tell him what is going on. He will put you in touch with their body shop manager.
Hopefully one of the two will just point and tell what is wrong so you can remedy the problem.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 04:14 PM

Lifetime Premium Member
One more note, I am guessing the car is under warranty so taking it to the originating dealer if you are the first owner will probably yield the best results.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
One more note, I am guessing the car is under warranty so taking it to the originating dealer if you are the first owner will probably yield the best results.
well i bought it used from a buick dealership (not certified Mercedes) but it only has 33k miles and is only 2 years old so i was hoping it's still under warranty? i havent really looked into it yet - was too busy with HR stuff from my accident.

Do you think it's really this big of a deal if the hood is indeed latched shut? i was kind of halfway hoping that ya'll would be like "no worries, mate you'll never get a truly flush fit" or something.

i suppose i could bring it into a mercedes dealership for a talk about extending my warranty, etc. and maybe getting them to install it properly?

thanks by the way for the advice, etc.

ETA: Yep I'm indeed in MKE so I may take your advice when I get a day or two to breathe. Have my new boss coming in tomorrow and am stressed already :-/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in