BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Mar 2013
Vehicle: 1996 SL500
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Impressed with the size of this place

Over 400,000 members.

OK, about me. And no, don't have a bunch of questions; just introducing myself. I do have some things to solve, and this being a family of "close knit" 400,000 will tell you a bone-headed thing I recently did to my SL500 - as a warning to anyone else - but here's my particulars

Was a long tome (20 years) owner of a W124 300E - sold it with 370,000 miles and if it weren't for that well-known problem of the M103 and M104 heqad gasket problem, would proabbly have kept it until I died (maybe get buried in it?)

But the HG was bad for the 3rd time, it had it seemed to have a bad rear wheel bearing and I was attracted to the looks of the R129.

Found a 1 owner '96, smoke silver (DB 702) and it seems a rare interior color 265 "Mushroom" ( I think the official designation is "champignon ".

I have had to repair something things I didn't think I'd have to, like replace the heater blower motor and regulator, but overall very happy with the car. I originally wanted an M113 engined car but in 3 months of looking, came to the conclusion that condition was more important than drive train and while the mileage is a bit less from the 113, that M119 is some engine.

I call it the "hibernating beast" - at 70, on cruise control, it is just as quiet as can be - getting 23-25 mpg.

Tap the throttle, and that engine comes to life with a roar.

at 121,000 miles, hardly burns any oil (on Mobil 1 all its life).

What I still need to do: replace a hydraulic cylinder up by the visor - flush the brake fluid, install new Billsteins (and front tower seems to be cracked; all known issues) - front bumper has cosmetic damage - PO had hit something and the plastic fascia is torn on the bottom - seems the best course is to patiently wait for one in a wrecking yard - 96-2000 seems to be its fitment range.

OK, the boneheaded move?

The trunk light wasn't working - again seems to be fairly common (google kept bringing me here so I know that ;-)

I buy a new latch, unbolt the old one, pull it out, install the new latch, connect the wire, and keeping the bolts just a bit loose, close the trunk lid to let the catch "adjust" to the latch.

Turn the key to open it and it is my first "oh !@#$% " moment.

Well, to cut to the chase, of course, the actuator rod was not connected to the latch - I did not see it behind the plastic fascia. And taking the car on a club drive last Sunday an experienced mechnic on the drive looked at it and said the only way to get to that latch now is to break the right tail light to be able to get your hand in the trunk. There is no access point behind the car.

Lesson learned to think a bit more before acting.

I do wish we could get a factory shop manual - I know aboujt the CD but who was the bonehead designer wo decided you will use a (now) 10 year old version of Adobe Reader or it won't run.

Or won't run on a 64 bit machine.

Very un-Mercedes like.

Well, I have rambled enough for awhile.

The automatic intro message said you all would like an intro ;-)
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-09-2013, 12:50 AM
Outstanding Contributor
Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Welcome to Benzworld.

"I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a friend, if you have one."
- George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: