post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Mar 2013
Vehicle: ClS 550, S550, G35 coupe
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Need Advice!! please

Link to my original thread. I didnt get much help, guessing because of where its posted.

Im thinking that the body shops I went to are just trying to make money off me. It seems the fender can be fixed instead of replacing it.
I am 21 and I pull into a shop with a Benz, it may be a reason why the 2 shops are giving such a high price.

One shop said 700, and will fix fender. So is the whole under 500 a mistake?

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 02:41 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Under $500 for work that requires paint would surprise me. It is more likely that the entire panel will be painted instead of trying to blend in.
What kind of reputation does the shop that is estimating $700 have? Have you considered going through your insurance company?
A good body shop makes a world of difference. You dont want rust popping up later on or having to pay again to have a job redone. "Car guys" typically know the good body shops. The one I use is outstanding.
I will offer the following suggestion. Call the mercedes dealership and ask them who does their bodywork. They might tell you, they may not. I would also consider contacting your local MBCA. They may have a suggestion as well. If their newsletter is online, you could browse through it to see if they have any ads.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 12:28 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Feb 2012
Vehicle: 2006 CLS 500
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The story is that it boils down to labor cost. If the dent is removed versus replacing the fender, that involves certain procedures for each approach.

No offense to the body shop professionals but many places lack the skills necessary to work sheet metal any more. But they can unscrew a screw and take out a light and so forth.

If you really wanted to do this on the cheap, they could small drill holes in the damaged
area and use a dent puller or else a similar device where posts are temporarily welded on and then used to attach a tool that also pulls out the dent.

In my experience, it comes down to how much body filler you can stand to have in the repaired area if money is not the prime concern.

The most important thing as has been pointed out is how the finish turns out: matching color, texture, shine, panel smoothness and factory look. All of these things are most noticeable with black paint.

I will tell you this. If you go cheap, every time you look at the result, you'll get really pissed.

Of course you want the repair to be correct and just want to know a reasonable cost.
$500 is too cheap, $2000 is too much and base your final decision on looking at similar work by the shop. Ask at the auto paint supply store where the best shops are. If you're still clueless, join your local MB club and ask for someone to go to a couple of shops with you.

Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: